Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the glass pack last night and finished at 11:30(theres was alot of cutting and bending and alot of rusted hangers and bolts) and took it for a test drive. It sounds awesome. When you keep it in 1 and rev it then let off it rumbles awesome. But anyway does any one know if I have to have my catalitic converter? Is it a law in Illinois? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your truck is 85 or newer and doesn't have farm plates it will have to be emission tested at some piont and it will fail with out a cat

Alex
Chicago

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do farm plates matter? i have a z71 in nebraska with farm plates would it need cat converter?

one day it will all happen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You live in Nebraska? Where at. I'm in North Platte. Honestly quite a few people here have just cut them off. Police don't seem to mind as long as they are not obnoxiously loud.

Edited in- You might want to reconsider cutting off the cat though. From your profile you have a 94 and that might mess up one of the sensors in your exhaust pipe. Aww heck, someone will explain it better. Calling AJM......

Husker Power!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
in behalf of AJM...(trying to beat him to it) the only thing you have to wory about as far as sensors is the o2 sensonr. if there is one behond the catalytic converter you might have issues. if it/they are in front of the cat then you're all set to cut it out.
---Peacock

96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my 94 my O2 sensor is before the cat and I had mucho mega problems when my cat went out. My cat looked like a can of rocks. Now, maybe taking it out altogether wouldn't have negative effects like the can rocks did on mine. I don't know. I've never tried it.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took the cat off my 90 and havn't noticed any problems. Sounds awesome with a 2ch flowmaster. Some people say you lose low end power, but I didn't see a difference. Low end stayed the same but the top end has more pull and I'm getting about 1-2 mpg better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if your truck is a 94, you live in illinois, they call you in for a test sooner or later (usually every 2 years) you have no cat. you will fail. And they make you come back in soon after that. Fail enough times or don't show up long enough and they will suspend your plates (or was it your license, i think they changed it to license but im not sure) and the CO2 sensor is just before the cat. on the 94s.

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Well, you all kinda missed my usual point.

On the 94's the o2 sensor is in front of the cat, so you can run it without the cat and not get codes. You will loose some low end torque and gain some high end hp though. I like my torque down low, so I wouldn't do it just for that.

There's also the fact that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT says your truck is supposed to have one there. "Big deal, when are they going to be looking under my truck?" Never, but some local County Mounty, State Trooper, Police Officer, whatever who actually knows vehicle codes might decide to look over your sweet ride, be inspecting it after he pulled you over for your LOUD exhaust, whatever, and notice the lack of a cat. WHAMMO! If he's cool you get a fix it ticket and have to go have a cat put on. If he's not cool you get a $2500 FEDERAL fine and your truck gets impounded. I've known both to happen to people I knew/know. I am from Michigan, and they really don't care a flipping thing what you do with your car. Still, some cop could look at it, and whack, I'm screwed outta a lot of money. I paid the $150 and had my cat replaced with a 3" in/out Car Sounds high performance catalytic convertor. Smoothed the exhaust tone out, and I noticed a little bit more pep. Cost me $150, but it's completely legal./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I knew I had forgot something. I remember you had posted that before and totally made me reconsider. Why not just be legal. Those newer ones are supposed to flow better and besides that, I would rather spend $150 on my truck than pay a $2500 fine. Plus wouldn't you hate to have them "make an example" out of you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought federal law stated the fine at 5 grand and/or some jail time as well if you tamper with an Emission system. Gotta check on it now.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I believe the $2500 is just for the cat. I remember reading the little sign thing they had in the exhaust shop over and over and over again while I was bored and waiting./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

If you screw with the engine emissions stuff, that could be where your $5k figure comes in.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I think if you're a pro or career mechanic the fine increases to $10,000 for tampering with the emissions system, I think in it's entirety... Plus possible jail time... /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif That's ridiculous. Especially considering a well tuned engine in good shape without any emissions controls at all can easily pass all but the absolute most stringent emissions checks... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks RJ/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. It looks a little different now though. Since that pic was snapped I have painted the rims black. Looks better to me. I just tooks some pics of it the other day when I was taking pics of this 14 bolt rear I'm gonna have to get rid of. I'll have to post them up sometime so you can check em out.

PS. The axle is a 14ff and is off an 81 with stock 4.11 gears. Even has the wheels. In case anyone is interested. Make me an offer/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts