Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1975 CJ5 with a bad clutch. should I pull the t-case off first ,or leave it on the tranny and pull it as one unit .thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally, I'd pull the tcase and tranny together. Together, they still aren't too heavy to deal with and you won't have to worry about gear oil all over the ground.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Its probably easier to replace them one at a time though, tranny first, Tcase later..

at least on my later model jeeps it works like that, hard to alighn the trans input shaft with that extra 100 LBS on the rear end..

get the clutch alignment tool from the shop..its worth it...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya know, I've never done it..but...I just had my clutch repaced in my 60 cj5 and the mechanics said it took two of them to take it out and put it in...something to consider anyway depending on how your going to do it...

..Just an old stock 60 willy's cj5...(THE project!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done three clutches on my Cj-5 now... first one was with stock springs and it was the origonal clutch! (21 yrs old at the time) The clutch I put in was defective and spit cunks within 30days, so napa gave me another one. This time I had it on 4" springs, and it went alot easier. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Lastly, 3 1/2 hours in a spring fed mud puddle caked clay in the pressure plate and it wasn't clamping fully. So down came the tranny again! Cast iron is a double edged sword ppl... This all in less than a year and a half... Thus is my indoctrination into jeepdom. NEWAY : The first two times we did t-case trans as one unit. Even bellhousing. Boy were we suicidal... This last time we seperated them down and up. Alot easier...

BTW - anybody ever drop a D300 on a concrete floor after pulling it out of a CJ on a lift? It makes a BIG indent in the floor. STill works tho.. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif customer never knew. (btw - this wasn't me, but a friend of mine) Just a testiment to how strong these things actually are...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.