Off Roading Forums banner

Inline Tube - Beware

3K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  SteveInColorado 
#1 ·
Ok, I am ever so pissed.......Just wanted to post my experience with a company called inline tube . I ordered my son a complete stainless steel brake line set for his 1973 Jeep Commando. The set arrived and upon inspection I realized that the set does not fit his 73 Commando but in fact is made to fit a Jeepster Commando. I ordered them off their web site, they have listing for 72-73 Jeep Commando part # JPB7101. When I called them they asked me to take a picture of the lines they sent me and e-mail it to them.

After several days they finally got back to me and basically the answer was " those are the correct lines". I explained to them that the lines they sent me don't fit the 73 Commando but they refuse to believe me and won't refund my money. The next day I had the same conversation with the manager and the same result. So now I'm stuck with a brake line set I can't use and I'm out $200. Even if they allow me to return them they will keep 20%. I know there may be other ways to convince them they are wrong, but I'm so pissed off at these jerks that I just don't won't to deal with them anymore. Thanks for letting me vent and please don't order from them.

See less See more
#3 ·
you use a credit card? call the credit card company and ask them. Tell them the business sent you the incorrect part, and will not return your payment- sometimes the credit peple will have pity and refund your money, and sometimes they will get intrested in the company itself. If that dont work, Call inline tube and whisper small claims court into the telephone-that tends to get everyones attention. Let them eat their restocking fee. Let them come to court, and explain to the judge why their selling the incorrect parts for vehicles and not refunding money....that smells fraudulent to me.

I cant believe how many lines are in that picture- theres enough there to do my 73 a few times over, with tube to spare.

#4 ·
Filed a complaint with the credit card company. They are sending a form to fill out. Filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau also.

In reply to:

I cant believe how many lines are in that picture- theres enough there to do my 73 a few times over, with tube to spare.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how I knew almost right away it was the wrong set. The 73 is very simple - one line to back and one to the front - split to each wheel.

What really makes me mad is that the guy at inline tube refuses to believe they could be wrong

#5 ·
The problem with Small Claims Court in this situation is that the transaction was at Inline Tube. Therefore you must file your case in that County. So you would be going there, not them coming to you.
The credit card company is the way to go I think on this one.

#6 ·
I think there is a $500 minimum value to fight over something in small claims. Since it was mail order Tom is right, the court would have to be in the county of the business because that is where you took title to the goods. The credit card company is your best bet.

What is different about the lines? I have never delt with inline tube, but I have had good dealings with classic tube. Best of luck on resolving this, I would be persistant, they are clearly in in the wrong.

#7 ·
Lee, You might want to contact the company they used to ship the lines. If it was usps then the postmaster general can take care of selling false goods through the mail.

I don't know how ups and fed-ex handle that type of thing.
Would some pics of some stock lines still on the frame help? I took some pics after you guys took the tub home that day. Let me know if it can help.

#9 ·
I dunno Lee, I think those lines would work pretty well on the (YOUR) Jeepster! Jason needs to learn to bend tube anyways! Give him $30.00 and let him buy a cheap bender and some tube and let him make it all work. That's how we learned.
Use the credit card deal if needed but I would work it out through all of the BS at Inline Tube. Get a person on the line and ask for their boss. Keep going until you get someone who matters. Let them know that you are a card carrying member of the EASTERN CHAPTER of THE AMERICAN JEEPSTER CLUB
whose website makes and/or breaks companies much larger than their's and if they don't want DUANE MANN to come down on their a$$ they had better fess up and do you right! Jeepster and Commando owners unite!!!!!!
Give us their email and website info. We'll show 'em!

#12 ·
Lee: The laws governing small claims court vary by jurisdiction. I don't practice in Maryland and have no idea what those laws would provide. In California, for instance, there is no jurisdicational minimum, but the maximum is $5,000. Also, you can't be represented by an attorney, so a corporate defendant actually needs to send an officer to appear at the hearing. There are also a number of factors which may be used to establish minimum contacts for personal jurisdiction in Maryland, even though the company is located in Michigan. Doing business over the internet, for instance, is enough in some states. Again, since I don't practice in Maryland, I don't have any idea how the laws would specifically apply to your situation. If you have a local lawyer friend, I would consult them if the credit card and/or BBB plans don't work out. There are also a number of "self-help" books available that may tell you what you need to know. Good luck.

#16 ·
Thanks for the heads up I'm needing new brake lines as well and I thought about calling these guys. I think I will call Classis Tube instead after reading this post.

I will also send them an email letting them know about the business they will be loosing. Keep us updated on any changes if their is any.

Eric

#17 ·
Here's mine

To whom it may concern-
I understand that Lee Tidwell in Bowie, Maryland recently ordered a set of stainless brake lines from you for his 1973 Commando. He apparently received the wrong set through an error on your part, and has been told the only option he has is to return them and pay a 20% restocking fee.

Mr. Tidwell is a member of the American Jeepster Club, as are almost all owners of Jeepster Commandos and Jeep Commandos. If you continue to insist that Mr. Tidwell accept responsibility for your mistake, I would advise removing the Commando lines from your inventory because you have alienated almost all buyers for this product.

I am actually currently in the market for brake lines, but will be forced to look elsewhere if this is the kind of treatment I can expect from your company.

In closing, if you won't help Mr. Tidwell in the interest of fair business, do so in the name of good business.

Thank You,
Steve Spiess.

G
#18 ·
I too sent an email to them. What people here do when a company isn't on the up & up with them is contact the local TV station. Some have consumer advocates who make a story out of it and usually the business sees the error of their ways.
In reply to:

[/ QUOTE ]I feel more like I do now than when I started!

#19 ·
That's the problem with dealing with someone on-line. You don't need a store or any credibility to create a website and ask for business.
Websites don't reject lies!

At least they seem somewhay legit - they are willing to return 80%. Just try to get someone on E-scam to do that.

So many scam people operate from other countries too - where you have absolutely no recourse at all - (Ha, as if you do here.)

Myself, if I can't go to their shop or location and kick their butts if they do me dirt, they don't get my business in the first place. It's surprising how many website "stores" don't show an address. Ever wonder why?

Sure, it's inconvenient to drive a long ways to get something, but -.

Internet sales have given new meaning to the term
"Buyer Beware."

#20 ·
Thanks to all of you who have emailed inline tube. I was pretty upset also when my dad told me about the brake lines. Hey RQ I got a bender we just need a good flaring tool now. Looks like some guy on ebay sells the lines for the commandos they just have to be bent. Thanks again to every one.

#21 ·
Thanks for all of the messages and emails. I really appreciate it.

I would use the lines on my 70, but I replaced mine about four years ago and have since modified them for the SOA, so they wouldn't fit mine exactly.

I'm working on the credit card angle first and then see what happens.

BTW, as for now they WILL NOT take them back, the 20% is a retocking fee IF they decide to take them back. Their story for now is that they are custom lines and therefore not returnable - my response was "custom? you have a part number /listing on your web site".

The fact is that their pattern is wrong and they don't believe me. Like I said, they were such jerks on the phone, I really don't won't to deal with them anymore.

I spoke to Classic tube, if you have the original lines they can remake them, but they do not have a pattern for the Jeepster or the Commando.

Thanks again

#25 ·
I would think a letter with the club logo from a club officer informing them of the error of their ways would help them see the light. Maybe a pic of each style brake set up? It would at least help in court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.