Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone indexed there 300 behind the TH400 auto tranny
I was wondering if the drive shaft will hit the tranny?

Mike
1979 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If i was to do it again, i would have tried to index it even more than i have it at the moment. The stock front shaft clears the tranny oil pan, but just barely. this is with the chevy 305 / th400 / D300 mounted at the center between the frame rails. If i had the mounted the engine /tranny etc, in the stock (more to the left) position, i would have even better clearance.
The reason it clears at the moment, is because i have a 4" lift kit installed.
If it is stock height, i doubt it would clear *unless* the D300 was index nearly horizontal. this would give an added feature, a nearly flat skidplate / crossmember.....
I'll send you a couple of photos....
Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]nor.no>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when using a th-400 or any auto tranny you have to use the smaller diameter front driveshaft. When you have one made they will ask if it is an auto or manual. Just get a good heavy duty one and the smaller diameter won't matter. It is a close shave even with the smaller tube but it clears.

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am about to do a swap using a Dana 300 and TH400 trans in my CJ7 with the 304 engine. What is involved in this "indexing" and does anyone have any tips for this combination that will make it work well? Thanks in advance for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.