Off Roading Forums banner

I'm otta here

793 views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Paul Calman 
#1 ·
I\'m otta here

I,m sorry, I like the people, but this page take three minute to load each post on a cable modem. I guess they don't care. It so frustating. This is the only site I have that does it. So I cant hang all day . I guess I make a visit one a month or so. This site just hate my computer. Nothing that anybody done. Its the software

#3 ·
Re: I\'m otta here

Hate to hear that BB,
I'm on DSL and it don't take long for my stuff to wrk. I blame most of my computer worries to the freakin' popups. I'm continually having to delete them.
Maybe you have some software issues?
There's some good geeks here that may be able to give you some insight.
Good luck!

#4 ·

Yeah. All I can get is dial-up at 26K where I live, and it usually only takes 30 secs or so. It has been kinda glitchy this week, though. Maybe try back in a few weeks? I need all the help I can get on this Jeepster thing.

Steve.

G
#5 ·

i have same prob as brown bag, im on cable and have zero probs loading other pages but this one takes a while, sometimes forever!!!

grqster - try spybot its free and good, also google toolbar blocks popup pretty good

#7 ·

I also have the same problem. I went and ran the toast.net check and my connection is great......but this site loads slower than a running turtle in the dead of winter.
At times I was going to respond to a post....but closed the window because of how slow it was and of course due to the pop-ups.........my normal action for sites having pop-ups is to quit visiting them and this site is getting close to being on that list too.

#8 ·

I don't have any software for anti-popups. Ebay is pure hell, but I've never seen a SINGLE one here. I save the actual forum as a favorite, and just click on that to open it. Maybe you guys don't????

Steve.

#9 ·

OH! I just thought of something. I had those stupid "save now" popups all the time. Then I had a mysterious toolbar appear on my computer one day. I clicked on "help" I think on it. Somehow got to an FAQ thing. One option was "what if I don't want this toolbar?" It turned out it was from the same people as the "save now" crap, and both were actual
PROGRAMS on my computer!!!!!! Went to Control panel, uninstalled both, and both have been gone without a trace ever since ( several months). Hope that info can help somebody.

Steve.

#10 ·

The Google toolbar is the best anti-popup blocker, IMO. I haven't seen a popup since I installed it.

http://toolbar.google.com/

The latest Netscape also has popup blocking capability built into it.

I'm on a cable modem and this page loads fast sometimes, other times it's slow. If it's slow I just close it and come back later.

#11 ·

I haven't had any problems with speed on this site. I am at home now on dialup and I can load the pages in about 15 seconds. As for popups, I use Mozilla (the basis for Netscape) which blocks popups and has other cool features like easy Google searching from the address bar. IMO, it puts Internet Explorer to shame.

Chris

#12 ·

I too am on dialup at home. Pages take 10-15 seconds to load most of the time. Only one popup when I log in and no more until I log out again? How can we be getting such varying degrees of performance? I am on AOL, does that make a difference?

Brad.

#15 ·

I have a broad band too and don't have a problem but the system is a little slow this am with all the snow and people staying home. You may just be unlucky when you attempt this site.

Yahoo has a new popup feature on the search toolbar...just download for free. Haven't had a popup in 2 weeks.

Big Al

#18 ·

If, you have it saved in your favorites I would delete it and then re-save it in your favorites. I use dsl at work and a phone line at home and it always loads real fast for me but it won't refresh on its own - I'm constantly having to refresh to see new posts. I use the latest internet explorer and the pop-ups are enough to drive me bonkers. I get them about every 30 seconds. It's worse on E-bay. POW does not even work on them anymore. I think I'll try one of the suggested tool bars. You can also go to your "internet options" under the "tool" dropdown - click on the privacy tab, then the advanced button and allow 3rd party cookies or hit the "edit" button and list this site as one to always accept cookies from. Oh yeah - AOL 9.0 blows. I've been saying that about every new version since 5.0.

#19 ·

my pages here load fine but my internet explorer always shows one item remaining to download. They have something, a link or something that has a problem.

As long as I can read the forum I don't care.

G
#22 ·

At work I am running through a T1, and at home a 56K dial up. The T1 gives blistering fast loads (obviously) but even at home it only takes maybe 10-15 seconds to load. I am running Mozilla as my browser at both locations, and I have NEVER had a pop-up since switching to Mozilla (hint hint...)

G
#24 ·

My two cents: I'm on 56K dial-up.

Dump Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser -- get Opera (much nicer product with built-in pop-up blocker if you want to use it). Get Zone Alarm Pro as a firewall to get rid of spyware attacks and others and make sure you have Norton Antivirus up-to-date to protect against the latest viruses, etc.

Things are find over here.

#25 ·

brownbagg,

I have a cable modem and sometimes even that is slow loading this bbs and pages
, don't leave over a little inconvience. You are a valuable member of this board and we need people of your caliber.

Chip
Chepstr
1970 Half-Cab

#26 ·

You city boys are getting spoiled with high-speed internet. I get 26-29 Kbps on my phone line, and no other options here but satellite.
Still, 30 sec is pretty slow, it must be your computer.
I have us a pop-up blocker and run adaware for spyware often.
My dad is on earthlink, i installed the latest version when i was there, it works slower than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.