Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'m new to my 80 CJ7

I sold my Banshee, and bought a stock 1980 CJ7 with the 258 and a 4 speed. It's in good shape, everything works great. The motor leaks at the rear main, and it smokes on start up. But, that's fixable, when I have time.

I need some advice, anything about Jeeps that I need to know. I will be driving it mainly on the road and on the farm. Sometimes I will go the the Kermit sand hills in West Texas. Any advice is welcome.

97 Chevy Z71
98 Blazer ZR2
80 CJ7 waiting on mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I\'m new to my 80 CJ7

If you're going off road, you may want to upgrade your AMC20 rear (if you have one) to use 1 piece axle shafts fo added strength. Does the Jeep have over size tires?

Make sure the carb is working well and that it idles well. Also check for blow by.

The more you drive it the more you will start to feel what is going on with your Jeep

CJ8George
o[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Which trans do you have. I believe the 80 came with either a T176 or an SR4. If its the SR4, look out, they have bearing problems, used ball bearings. If its the T176, you're in good shape, its the best manual trans Jeep used in the 80s. Only downside is a rather high 1st gear. A T176 will even hold up to small V8 power, the SR4 would go away quickly.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

congratulations, on your jeep purchase, you could buy a jeep book like "the JEEP Bible" a couple magazines and even order a couple of jeep catalogs like "four wheel drive hardware" and "4wheel parts wholesalers", they all have alot of good information in them. but if you start modifing/upgrading just be careful, it's hard to stop! keep on Jeepin'

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/Dana44/60

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

STOP???????????
You mean that somewhere out there is somebody who was able to stop?
We used to hear stories about that around the camp fire after a day on the trail, but we always thought they were just to scare the kids.
I mean, what could ever take the place of my Jeep obsession?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

I personally don't want to and probably am unable to stop, but i have a friend who knows someone that heard of a guy who stopped with the help of some "12 step program" but i've heard you have to want to stop.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/Dana44/60

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for your replys. I'll try to give a better idea of what I have. I think it has a SR4 trany, it has a curved shifter, and a Dana 300 transfer case, and stock AMC axles. I checked to compression yesterday, it was around 135 psi. Some of the spark plugs looked oily. Does the 258 have the same bell housing bolt pattern as a Chevy 350? Just an idea.

97 Chevy Z71
98 Blazer ZR2
80 CJ7 waiting on mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Your Banshee had a 1 piece axle (like a posi). The jeep doesn't. If you are going to do anyting remote to what you use to do with the quad you might want to look into lockers.

DON'T TRAVERSE like on the quad either! If at all possible keep to 90 degrees to a slope. ( can't hang your butt over the edge of the jeep to keep it on all fours)

If I'm comming across as a smart ass I applogize, I'm assuming that this is your first 4x4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.