Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm all about replacing 20+ year old parts putting new parts in and upgrading when I can...I'm not real good at fishing through pick and pulls to find things...I don't even know where a close you-pull-it is...

The closer to unbolt two bolts, remove part, insert new part, tighten bolts the better...I'm learning...slowly...

What are possible ignition upgrades (HEI?, TFI?, MSD?, TeamRush?)?

What are the ease of installations of each?

What are the costs associated with them?

Thanks!
Patrick

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Find a complete HEI out of a GM six cylinder. Swap out the gear with an AMC V8 variety, drop it in at TDC #1, power it with a good Ign 12v source, start it up, time it, hook vacuum up, and go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G

·
[ QUOTE ]
'm all about replacing 20+ year old parts putting new parts in and upgrading when I can...I'm not real good at fishing through pick and pulls to find things...I don't even know where a close you-pull-it is...

[/ QUOTE ]
I love the HEI...about the only thing better than the TR upgrade...but....not exactly bolt on friendly....

For bolt on upgrades....the TR is about the best for the money....I would not waste the money on MSD....it's good, but not worth the bag for the buck...and not exactly bolt on...

You can also do the TR in parts....do the caps and wires first, TFI coil later....
Other than igntiion, there is not really much you can do to improve the performance short of new carb....but you would be surprised at how much better it will run by just replacing cracked vacuum lines and making sure what is there is in good shape.

And if your interested...I have the HEI/TR style cap and wires that came off my CJ...and the dist which only has about 49K miles on it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.