Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 5.8L running on 32’s with stock 3.55 at about 85k miles. My rig has become less than a daily driver now (co. car and 4 cyl beater will keep me below 6k miles a year on the Bronco) and the driving pattern seems to be more of an adventure/hunting/camping/inclement weather rig than the all around truck of the past. Most miles are on pavement getting me to my offroad destinations. In TX where I am now, I don’t have much of a power issue when loaded down for camping or even pulling the pop up camper and canoe, primarily due to the low elevation and flat terrain. Humping over to the Ozarks, it becomes apparent my gearing is on the high side but manageable, and trekking to CO and over the Divide, with the elevation and extra weight, its downright noticeable that power is just not what it could be and the frequent down shifting cant be healthy. Given I like the size boots I have and not quite ready to go to the expense of gearing to 4.11’s, what ignition mods would you consider a healthy upgrade. Its time for wires, plugs, cap and rotor, so I’m gonna be shelling out for it anyway…if I knew there was something I could use to get a little more power in the hills, and still not wipe low end torque and maybe even improve hiway mileage (I know it sounds like I’m looking for a magic pill), I’d sure be interested in knowing what you have found to be a winning combination.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
you might try the MSD TFI coil along with gapping your plugs to .060... i hear good things about that setup and it's pretty cheap so worth a try

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yep

I'm one of Muddy's referals and I couldn't be happier with what the MSD TFI coil, and a wider plug gap, gave me. Muddy was right, the coil made the most difference. Later I stuck the MSD-6 on and though the drivability improved the big performance and mileage gains had already been realized by their coil.

Get the adapter wiring piece so you can switch back to the stocker in 25 seconds flat if anything goes wrong.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been running the MSD TFI coil and Super Conductor wires for some time. Can't say I've really noticed any considerable difference in mileage gains or performance, but I haven't increased the plug gap either.

I am in the process of installing the MSD-6a ignition box. Hopefully that will do something. Regardless, from my experience, I do know that MSD parts are very reliable.

Did you try a K&N filtercharger yet? That may help. Don't just go with the replacement element, but try the more expensive cold air box system if available or the cone type filter setup.

I also installed a Flowmaster muffler and just had a new 302 installed about 8000 miles ago. Gas mileage still isn't great but better then it ever has been.

After I get the ignition system done, I think I am going to try a set of headers. This one modification made a noticable difference in mileage and performance in both my CJ7 and Cherokee. Probably the Edelbrock tubular exhaust system (experienced reliability).

After that, guess I would change the module.

It just gets more expensive after that...

btw mines an '89 302 running 32s with stock gearing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will also throw in a plug for msd. I've had the same 6a msd box for 11 years now and it has been on 9 different vehicles (2 cars, 7 trucks). After installing it you will notice a smoother idle and it will also start easier. As far as mileage, I haven't really noticed much improvement over stock. I also have the msd coil and will also reccomend that as well. I would also advise you to order the msd wiring harness (pn 8874) this will make the installation run smoothly. And if your msd box ever has a problem you can switch back to your factory ignition in seconds. If your looking for noticeable power gains you need to find a way to get more air into your engine and away to get more air out of your engine. I started with a Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust (simple 45 min. install time.) It absolutely gave me a noticeable gain in power. I also have the k&n fipk which I did notice a fraction amount of power gain (only fractional). I'm still not sure it was worth the $160 bucks. These mods along with new cap, rotor,plugs and wires will greatly improve the driveability of your bronco. My next performance item will be headers. I put a set of jba headers on a z-71 I had and it was unbelievable how much they helped. All of this stuff is a Saturday morning install project. The biggest problem you'll have among all these mods is the passenger side spark plug next to the firewall.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you've done,
Brian

·
Registered
920 Posts
I will second what sixlitre did the only difference is I have an Accel coil. I think most aftermarket coils would be better than stock, as far as the msd-6 or any other system, I have the AccelIgnition system as I have said and I think after I put the coil on I did notice a power increase. Then I put the Multi-spark ignition module on and had to play with the timing, found out that my optimum timing was at 14 degrees BTC. I gained more power and throttle response but lost some mileage. So I just use the coil and factory timing 10 degrees BTC now. I also have my plugs gapped to .058 and she runs good! I do more street than dirt so this is my setup for good. I have a 90XLT with a '96 5.8L. And the 5.0 that's the original I'm gonna tinker with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems everyone will plug MSD TFI coil...lets assume this is going in. I need wires, plugs, cap and rotor...Norm thru his hat in with Spiro wires....any takers for cap and rotor brand? I always stayed with manufacturer's line or NAPA in the past, but wondering if its worth going after MSD's line...will they work with Motorcraft? I've got the Champion Truck plugs now and they need to be replaced...I'm not touching anything by Bosch...anything anyone else has ran that will mix with this setup with a focus on the original intent? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I, like birddog, will be doing the coil, plug, wire upgrade soon. To the guys running wider plug gaps... Will the same gap (.058 to .060) work on a 302?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the MSD coil $49.99, MSD cap $19.99 and rotor $5.99, and Ford Racing 9mm high performance wires $49.99 and I am using Bosch Plus 4 Platinum plugs have had good luck so far (about 8,000 miles). I notice what you said about Bosch is there something wrong with Bosch plugs I don't know about have had good results in the past I thought. Please let me know what is wrong with the Bosch products. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brother is a GM mechanic and wont touch anything made by Bosch...told me folks come in all the time with Bosch plugs and wires which causes all sorts of mischief. Personally, I've always stuck NAPA stuff and Champion or in the case of imports, NG and dealer ignition parts in there. I didnt mean to knock Bosch, having no first hand experience, but I'm very wary, given what he's told me. Given this upgrade's purpose is to try to get a little power but maintain full reliability as an adventure truck, I immedidately ruled Bosch out due to the number of issues my brother has experienced with them. Did you use the Bosch before you upgraded everything else and out of curiosity, did you see any performance enhancement by changing to Bosch? Totally seperate question too, but does your MSD cap and rotor seem to work well with the Motorsport distributor? What elevation are you in and does your combo seem to work better than stock? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in the MSD cap/rotor, ford 9mm wires with ford plugs bout a year ago and had no problems. That coil upgrade sounds good though . . . . .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have used Bosch regular platinum plugs before in other vehicles and they seemed to work fine most I ever put on them was about 30,000 miles and they still look good. I am not saying they are the best plugs, I just don't know got what was recommended by a mechanic once and have used ever since and have not had any bad luck with them. I have never used bosch wires though. Does your brother also say that bosch O2 sensors are bad, if so what brand does he recommend? I can't give you any real performance info on the MSD stuff and Bosch plugs I put all the stuff on when I rebuilt the motor and I rebuilt the motor after only having the Bronco for about 6 weeks. Truck does run good and I do not have any problems with ignition as far as I can tell. MSD coil, cap and rotor all fit great and went on easily. I live on the west coast of Florida about as sea level as you can get with out getting wet where an ant hill can look like Mt. Everest. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'm using Accel plugs and wires. I have had no problems. got about 20,000 on them now. I also have the Accel cap and rotor but it didn't fit very well so I went with stock. To answer the question on gapping for a 302. Yes, Poeple are running that on this board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I jumped on the wagon.... and installed the MSD Blaster Coil today...

Did the Motorcraft Cap/Rotor, 9mm wires / plugs last weekend.

I definitely noticed a difference.
Got a bit too tired (aka Lazy)
so I plan to re-gap the plugs outside of spec tomorrow morning.

Let's see what that brings..

Once the fund-age increases, I plan to do the Ignition box as well....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
*Does your brother also say that bosch O2 sensors are bad, if so what brand does he recommend?* Said he hadnt experienced too many of those. Likely due to folks dumping cars before factory sensors go out and buyers of those dumped cars dont bring them into his shop. If I can find the MSD cap/rotor/coil this weekend, it looks like I'll have things started...

Norm...give me the skinny on those wires. Whats the big difference between Ford's 9mm aside from being fireproof and where can I find them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*I don't even know who their competition is.*

Useless biz trivia, but Ford used to buy them by the buttloads from EPC (Engineered Plastics - very interesting and profitable company that makes medical and telecom components too), GM from Delphi, Borg supplies OReilly and Pep Boys, and I have heard of a company named Walker that makes them, and NG for the rice burners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Taylor Spiro Pro Wires

Thanks WD40....would that be the TAY-74258 according to Summit? I'll call them later this weekend anyways cause I cant find a supplier local for Taylor and OReilly's was sold out of the MSD coil and it appears I'm going to have to order everything anyway.

Can anyone tell me the diff between the TFI and Blaster coil and which would be preferable for my 95? Also from what I saw in the OReilly catalog, MSD has what is called and Adapt a Cap....is this what other MSD cap users have installed? The guy at OReilly didnt seem too informed, so I hesitated before ordering from him....thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts