Off Roading Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Unfortunately, we live in a society where nobody is held accountable for their actions. Everyone and everything else is blamed - "victim of society, abused as a child, was on drugs," etc. There are too many bleeding hearts in the judicial system, and the criminals get a slap on the wrist time and time again, only to victimize more people. Therefore, it is up to each individual to protect themselves and their property, to the extent allowed by law. Anything more and you'll be victimized again - this time by the attorneys and the senseless lawsuits that are common today.

I take every step possible (outside lighting, club-type device, etc.) to discourage thieves from stealing my Jeep or property, but will not hesitate to take the necessary action if they still chose to attempt it.

Dan 98 TJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Yep, jus' keep on a-votin' them democrats in ta office, folks and you'll git a lot more of the same. The culture of victimhood (the crooks, NOT you) is alive and well, and growing under democrat liberalism./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif By the way.....is there anyone left out there who wants to see the "scheme". I THINK I e-mailed every one who asked, but in case I didn't, just ask. If you are "known", and not some cybercrook./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
e-mail me a copy, too. I'm a Scoutmaster, and my TJ gets used to haul scouts and troop gear on campouts. I don't bother locking the doors because I don't want to encourage people to slit the top just to get my spare clothing and old log chain. I would like to increase my chances of still finding the Jeep where I parked it. I don't have to worry about this at home or at work, but I do worry when I take the troop camping and can't park the Jeep near our campsite. That's why I like primitive camping: I can park the Jeep in the campsite, because I generally _use_ the Jeep to get the gear to the campsite.

Thanks,
Bill

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I would like to see the scheme. I had soem speakers stolen out of my Jeep. I am justy glad that they left my YJ. But I am worried now that they will try again for the whole jeep.

Kiley /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
94YJ
Alittle better than stock.
And now with a future Jeeper on the way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
CJDave, I'd be interested in seeing those schematics... Thanks!

BTW: Anyone want a 97 Montero Sport with 12k worth of side impact damage, and a leaking axle? All but the axle have been fixed... gotta hate those uninsured drivers, drinking, who run yellow lights at dusk with their lights off, and slam into innocent bystanders... (me)... At least I haven't been sued (yet)....

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
JCWhittney sells both a starter interrupt and an ignition cutoff, both are switches. I just was lookin at there online catalog tonight, and thought of this discussion, I don't know if it'll help, and I haven't been keeping up with this discussion, so I don't know if this has already been said, but here's the address anyway,

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml;$sessionid$CTH4CLIAAAFAXWBBJB2SMFQ?CATID=4701

Hope that helped at all,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I would like to see that "scheme" too. I don't think my Jeep is pretty enough to get stolen, but you never know./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif They would just steal parts off of it if they knew I had a 350.

80 CJ7 350, SM465, and lifted 4"
98 KX250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You can never do enough to keep your Jeep from getting stolen. And if it's going to happen, it's bound to happen at the worst possible time. We were on a wheeling trip over the 4th of July in Tennessee where we stayed 3 nights at a hotel (decent chain hotel, not a fleabag, backwoods one). I left the Jeep's top down and the doors off (it was hot as hell!), so I knew my stuff wouldn't be safe inside. I pulled my tools and detatchable face car stero out each night and parked it right outside our room. The last night we were staying there, we came out and found the contents of the glovebox (papers, u-joints and receipts) in the cubby above it, and the ignition collar broken. Someone had attempted to steal it right out from under my nose. They were about 30 seconds from doing so, too. All they needed to do from there is jam a screwdriver in the ignition, crank it over and give the steering wheel a good swift turn to break the tab that locks it. Buh bye Jeep. Fortunately, they didn't get that far and I was still able to use my keys to start it up gently. Had they stolen it, I'm told in that area, the police wouldn't even bother looking for it, because of all the mountainous areas and trails where it could be ditched.

I'd suggest the fuel pump kill switch, a starter kill switch, a hood lock, wheel locks, tack weld your winch bolts in one corner to the winch plate, a stereo with an alarm and detatchable face. Do I sound paranoid? Yes. Other option is not have ANYTHING worth stealing (which is almost impossible, since people will steal anything!)

90 YJ "Mangler" 6" of lift, 33's, Lock Right in the rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I will take the coil wire off sometimes, a thief with a spare coil wire is
a rare thing. If someone wants a vehicle badly enoough a flat bed tow truck
is pretty much unstoppable.

CB

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Most thieves wouldn't be stopped when finding the coil wire missing. They would simply use one of the plug wires and let the engine run on 5 or 7 cylinders to get the vehicle out of the area. Others would use a coat hanger for a temporary coil wire. Devious Devils /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I like taz's idea....I will be posting pics when my new body gets on over this x-mas break...but if your jeep is totally original...no-one would ever steal it. I let my friend borrow my cj and I got called by about 3 or 4 other people wondering "who had my jeep" in a matter of 30 minutes! When you see it...you'll understand why...350, 36's full size uncut gm drivetrain...etc etc....go bold or go home. Nothing worse than a stock jeep, unless its a fully restored flatfender..

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Even though I have a mostly stock Jeep. I would appreciate "the scheme" if you would Mr. CJDave. You're the best. Merry Jeepmas everyone. It is snowing in Wisconsin, and I am done with finals!

-(O]||[O)-
==*==*==
'82 CJ-7 258 [/]] ~AMC

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Ya.........me too Dave........you know I can't resist one of your "schemes"..........I wanna know.....!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

GeeAea

· Registered
856 Posts
Sorry to disagree with you Dave but anyone in politics/religion is corrupt .A rose by any other name is still a rose.(Repulsican /Demonicrat/Christian)

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

· Registered
856 Posts
how about 1/2 gallon gas in a 1 gallon can (enough room for fumes) grounded to the chassi with a spark plug threaded into it .That would kill them pretty quick. HUH ?

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

· Registered
401 Posts
Better than pulling a coil wire (and easier to carry, too!) is the rotor from the distributor. I've done this when parking at a remote trailhead for several days of backpacking.

But I also have a kill switch, since the lock is so worn that I don't need a key. You guess where <g>. It only kills the running power to the ignition, not the starting power..... so the engine will fire, then die as soon as the key is released from the start position. That should confuse a thief long enough to look elsewhere.

-Dana

Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV? Don't know the answer? Hm. Successful. Isn't it?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.