Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been discussed inthe past, if so just point me the way.

A friend of mine told me that Wranglers were easy to hotwire. Im inclined to believe him for.. well.. 'reasons'. :( Anyway, are there any ideas on hooking up a switch (maybe one that looks like a light switch) that has to be flipped before the iginition can fire up? I thought about maybe mounting it with my other switches so to kinda hide it a bit.

-Brian
93 YJ, 4.0L, Tuffy'ized interior

· Registered
1,223 Posts
You could can splice a toggle switch into the hot wire that goes from the ignition to the coil. I've done this before on my CJ but you need a hood lock to make it work. If they get under the hood, they'll run a wire from the batt to the coil and thier gone.

Wayne in Hawaii
"PYRO II" '77CJ5
(New Project) '90XJ Sport

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Hi Grif. Just saw your post. I have a lead-pipe foolproof Jeep theft-protection scheme that i can tell you about, but i have to scat rtight now. I'll post it to your private e-mail later./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey CJDAve can u send me that too,i've also been trying to design some kind of kill switch for my just bought 95 wrangler
THanks

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a switch on my jeep as soon as I built it. but it wasen't in the ignition, I put mine on the fuel pump, this way all ya have to do is turn off the fuel(hide the switch). They can still start the jeep and may even drive it a little way but k-put, she will run out of fuel and that's that. I did this on my 1970 RS Camaro and a guy paid this kid from Tulsa to steal the thing, well lets just say he didn't get very far and by the time the local police showed up he had a few knots of his head, he he.

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Thanks a lot Peanut, it used to be a pretty effective trick but now you've told the whole world. I think
that's why CJDave sent his by private email. Nothing that you come up with here will work long if you
are going to discuss how to do it, and defeat it, in front of the world.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I just e-mailed Grif about the anti-theft scheme. If any of you that are "known" would like to see it, I can send a forward to your private e-mail. The last thing we need is some crooks' cousin Leroy giving up the scheme because he saw it on the BBS./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey dave what do i have to do to be known?

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CJ7Taz,
That is why I said hide it in (). If the A**hole can't find the switch then he can't steal it ya think?????. I didn't tell ya where to put the switch, that is all up to you, besides, I don't think they are going to have enough time to cover the jeep with a fine tooth comb looking for the switch after it has run out of fuel in the middle of the road!!!

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Peanut,

I don't need to know where you put the switch, now that you've told me what the problem is, I can simply
jumper around it, ya think????? That was what made it work so well, the thief didn't know what the
problem was.

I wasn't being malicious with my comment, that trick has been around since I owned a '58 MGA back
in the mid '60, any self-respecting thief would know to look for it by now. Still, we don't need to discuss
all of the tricks we know here and wind up with an internet car theft handbook.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CJ TAZ, I understand your concern but this one has never failed. You take a master lock, just large enough to do the trick, and lock the brake pedal, and clutch pedal together, at the arms. That has solved many worries, even the "HOT WIRE" for me!

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Believe me when I tell you, guys. I had my XJ stolen in 1996; luckily it was returned to us mostly intact. No "trick" is 100% effective. If they REALLY want your ride; they can get it. While all those ideas being shared are certainly helpful; the best thing is to catch the scumball(s) in the act and b.t.s. out of him /(them)!!!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

Best Regards and I hope it NEVER happens to any of you /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Good Luck,
Jim Young
xjy173

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
No, no, no xjy173. We have a case going here where a guy was caught shoplifting at an Osco drug
store. Four employees caught him and detained him. He wound up on the ground with the four
employees holding him down until the police arrived, he died half an hour later. Autopsy report said he
died from struggling while having heroine in his system. He had 31 previous arrests, 2 of which were
felonies. The guy was black and they hollered discrimination and filed a wrongful death suit against
Osco. Osco has promised to give there employees sensitivity training and hire more blacks. Just kill
the SOB and hide the body well.

CJMore,
I may have done better than that, I had a huge Taz painted on the hood one on each side and another on
the back. I expect they might pass it up for one a little less noticeable.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
CJ7Taz,
Like I mentioned before, I was fortunate to get the Jeep back. Many owners are not as lucky as I. Sorry to emote like that; it is just that I cannot stand it: to see people's private property treated with so much disrespect.

Those people who took my Jeep were looking for something more than my little stock 2.8L would give them. They soon tired of it and parked it in Camden N.J. across the river from Phila. They were looking for a newer Cherokee with the 4.0L and lots of acceleration, I'd bet. Still they cleaned out all my cheap hand tools I keep in it for road side repairs, cassette tapes... little stuff like that. For some strange reason, they took the stock jack and handle, which I never used. They left the repair records I've kept since I bought it and the owners manual, though.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: Thief killer would be better

/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif when I read something like that Osco story it is ALL I CAN DO to remain calm. But hey, what do you expect when everyone on the democrat side of the aisle in congress says perjury "doesn't matter"....the dirtbag deserves to stay in the oral orifice. Another four years of democrat rule and NOBODY will be safe./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Thief killer would be better

Wait... let me get this straight, 31 (or more) prior arrests, heroin, and OSCO is being sued? Why aren't we suing this guys family for:

1. Raising a LOSER
2. Costing tax payers TONS of cashola
3. Creating havoc in the life of those poor oscal employees????

What is this country coming to. I'm sure the courts won't let the fact that he was a heroin addict and had priors into a "civil" court, right?

Oh yeah, I like the fuel pump idea. I went big when I got the Jeep, and had lojack installed. Of course, I lived in Long Beach, CA at the time... and actually drove the thing 40 miles to Glendale to work... I have lots of switches, let 'em pick one! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

· Registered
4,060 Posts
In reply to the "Masterlock" trick...I've driven my Jeep after the slavecylinder went out and I had no clutch, so its still possible but a real PITA.... If anyone wants to know how to drive a stick with no clutch to help get them out of a breakdown situation E-mail me and I'll tell you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had two 4x4's stolen just after complete redos... Cops don't even investigate them here in So. Cal. Both times were used to run undocumented aliens across the border. Now I drive a Jeep, doesn't hold as many people so Ive held onto it for 6 years! (With the help of a simple kill switch!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After having irrigation motor parts stolen, I was telling everybody that would listen about my idea. I special tank filled with natural gas, nails, and such with a spark plug in it, and wired somehow to some sort of trigger. We live in a small town, word gets around. Never had anymore trouble. Of course I would never do it, even though they do deserve it.

When I check my pivot at night, I carry a hand gun and a shovel, just in case.

80 CJ7 350, SM465, and lifted 4"
98 KX250

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.