Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I was looking under the hood with the engine running and I noticed that there was arcing around the coil. I have a MSD 6A with the TFI coil and plug wires. I didn't see any arcing from the wires just the coil. Any ideas on how to fix this or is this an indication that the coil is going bad on me.

Thanks
-Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's arcing from around the sides. If you are looking down at it from the front you can see arcing on both sides from the coil itself to the bracket that holds it in place. I have never seen this before either. I guess I should have given this info before, '93 Bronco with a 5.8 and E4OD.

Thanks
-Bob

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I've never heard of that either but I'm thinking Bad Coil! Bad! It sounds as if this can turn into a personal electrifying experience if you are not carefull. Call the company and ask them why it may be doing this. Tell them you are a member of a highly prestigious offroading community
and that you will let everyone know what a great company they are if you can exchange it for a new one.
Take Care. NORM

·
Registered
562 Posts
Too much resistance in the wires or a gap thats too big will blow thru the side of a coil. If a coil can't spark it will build voltage untill it can and if it has to blow thru the side of a itself to release the energy it will. Go over the whole ignition system before replacing the coil to make sure you don't ruin another one. Good luck

·
Banned
8 Posts
Change your spark plugs, your wires, cap distributor and rotor. I'm pretty sure your problem is there.This just happened to me. Before you change your plugs, wires, and cap, try this first. Pull the cowling engine cover off, locate the ignition coil and try to start the engine. Look at the coil and check for arcing. Race the engine a little to see an arc. I replaced the coil, and the problem was solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.