Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Identifying a York\'s stroke from tag???

I was strolling through a u-pull-it lot in Duluth, GA. My girlfriend says it is called "Pull Apart 'The Best Strip Joint in Town.'" I found one in an old ford engine laying in a ditch. It was kind of crappy though. Then we went through the foreign car section. Almost /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifall/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif of the Volvo cars on the lot with A/C had Yorks. I looked at the tags to make sure and they were. The only problem I had was distinguishing the length of the stroke./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

I had found a couple of articles on identifying Yorks on the web, but the #'s on the tag didn't even resemble what I had seen on the net. Does anyone know how to identify the stroke length from the #'s on the tag. Can they be identified from these tags or do I need to take them off to figure it out?

If any of y'all are close to Duluth, GA and want to know where it is, It is about a mile and a half south of Pleaseant Hill Rd. on Buford Hwy. There were a lot of Volvos and a lot of Yorks.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

· Registered
725 Posts
Re: Identifying a York\'s stroke from tag???

Take off the clutch and look at the crankshaft.
Remove the center bolt (1/2" socket)
Remove the large washer
Run a 5/8" coarse thread bolt in until it forces the clutch off
Look at the end of the crankshaft. The end is flat on all models.
If the edge of the flat end is beveled, you've got the short stroke.
If it's a sharp corner, but with a thin groove for a retaining clip, you've got the medium stroke.
If it's a sharp corner without any groove, you've got the long stroke.

Here is the link to the site I copied the info from
"http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html"

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Identifying a York\'s stroke from tag???

Kevin,
Thanks for the offer./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I will email you soon.
Robert.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.