Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ideas For Getting Out 3/16\" Cap Screw

Can you guys give me some ideas for getting out the one of the 3/16" cap screws that holds the strap/u-joint to the yoke on a Model 20. The head of the cap screw is stripped. I put my vice grips on perpendicular to the cap screw head and it just spun. Thanks for the ideas and help. --DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/4.0 standing by for transplant w/T176/Dana300 - Lookin for aluminum or chrome 15x8 spoke wheels to fit CJ.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Re: Ideas For Getting Out 3/16\" Cap Screw

When Mine stripped of, I tried grinding a flat on each side of the head and putting on the wrench that closest fit it. a little heat will help in the removal. If it is the strap style, if nothing else will work, you can take a grinder with a cutting wheel on it and cut through the strap, but that wil require replacement of the strap, and most likely the joint.. hope that helps..

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

G

·
Re: Ideas For Getting Out 3/16\" Cap Screw

I ground the head off to where I could get the strap off, then I drilled the rest of the bolt out and ran a tap through it to clean the threads up. I bought new bolts so hopefully I won't have this problem again.

Justin,
1980 CJ-5 (Mine)
1972 Jeep Commando (My Dad's)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.