Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a square shaped dash on my 1989 chevy truck I want to put a 1999 dash on is it possable and how do I take my old dash out and put the new one in?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I currently work in interiors, and you need to get the whole damn thing including harness/ tie bar/ column/ HVAC unit everything including the "a" plr trim I mean right down to sheet metal and under

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about taking an 89 dash that has those slide things instead of needles and replacing it with a dash that has needles (like out of a 95, not sure when they started to use needles). And if you could do that would you be able to hook up a factory tach? Been thinking of doing that but didnt know if it would work.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Rebil - I think you can keep everything you already have and just replace the guage cluster with one from a (not sure, but I think) 92-94. You may have wiring issues (the later the cluster the better chance of wiring issues), but I've seen it done, so I don't see why you can't. Just fot your benefit, or when it comes time to sell - you might want to doccument the odo change readings. The one I saw done had a few less miles than the one replaced, so to be nice and legal somehow he knocked the numbers up until they matched.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
On some of the old ones, you can move the numbers with your fingrs...those are the ones I've seen in junkyards though...newer ones are probably different

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not worried, the odo is already off and I dont really now true mileage. The speedo dosent work all of the time. I think it is the draq sensor. But I would like the newer needle style instruments. I also thought about doing all aftermarket gauges and runining new indivdual wires.
Anyway thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The gauges were needle style on optioned vehicles early 90 i think, latest year you want to go is 94 that is the last year before the interior change

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
does your torque converter disengage when this happens? if you beat on your dash does it come back on? if it stays off does the brake light come on?

if so, it's a common problem. there actually was a recall on it a long time ago. my dad never took his in. we still beat on the dash.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pfunk - I'm sure you're right. I'm no chevy expert. But I have driven an 89, my 90, 92, 93, 94, 96, my97, and a 99. Based on my experience, the 92 - 94 had needles, and my 90 didn't (which leaves the 91 to question). Some years had different color needles too, some green, some orange - And I believe somewhere in there there was a change in the number colors and font too. Just do some research on friend's trucks and whatnot then hit the bone yards.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, when I beat on the dash the speedo comes back on... sometimes. The brake light always flashes, and does the th400 have a lock up converter? I have been told by many people that it is the draq sensor.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
99% chance it's a cracked instrument cluster board. It's a common problem in those trucks (about 1 in 5 I have seen have varying degrees of problems with this). If you turn your dash lights on or use your defrosters it probably happens a lot sooner, doesn't it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
No. Usually it works all the way to work (or pretty close) which is 20 miles or so, and after that it usually wont work for the rest of the day. Off on and but not for a length of time. It works as much with lights on then off. Seems to work less and less though. When I first got it I drove it 300 plus miles and it worked the entire way, but on the way back it kept going in and out. If I hit the dash it will come back for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.