Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after my last post about how you guys felt about a welded rear diff, I have decided to go ahead and weld it tight. I have a hot, stick-welder, and damnit, I can do it right! I would really like a precise recipe on it tho, as I have never cracked open my diff before. What EXACTLY needs to be welded? I have a basic idea, but I would really like some details. Pics would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.

G

·
I can tell you this much: move flammables away from the welding area! I seem to start fires every time I arc-weld! There's a few web articles about this procedure for Toys - haven't had them side-by-side, but they should be identical parts. I've got a spare zuk diff and it looks like a (much) smaller version of my toy diffs. Just keep in mind they are high-precision parts!! Good luck,

Steve O.

'87 4-Runner, 31's, Downey headers & 2.5" cat-back, Flowmaster, 3" lift, and locked.
'87 SPAMurai, 30's, 2" lift, to be locked soon.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well when i got mine welded he put a bunch of weld on the spider gears.. We also put in bolts between the spider gears (the sides of the bolt heads align up with the teeth on the spiders so it cant move) then we welded thoes up solid.. Some more welding onto the pins, then the carrier and thats about it. Im sure some people dont like the idea of the welding on the pins, but oh well, it never broke yet and probably wont. If it does- more welding /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

How experenced are you in welding? I know somone (BiLLybOb) who used a powerful arc welder like mine to weld a rear diff, worked for a bit but it broke. I highly reccomend you get it welded professionally, espicially this isnt just normal steel, its hardened steel. I broke my first lincon locker job, partially becuase the welder was instructed to weld it lightly so it could be taken apart later (wasnt sure wat i wanted to do).. it also broke on the street..

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm...this is gonna take a bit more lookin' into than I had originally foreseen. I'm a pretty good welder, not a pretty beader, but I can weld it in solid and deep. It's the mechanix of it that scares me. I wish I had a printout of the diff. I have a Haynes manual, but it don't gimme squat about the diff. I hear the stock zuki manual has a detailed diagram, but I don't have access to one. Maybe I can find something online...

Pillard
'87 Sami, 5.5" SpOA, 33" Pro-Comps, Snorkel, 8k winch, 23" buggy-leafs, etc, etc.

G

·
If ye'be in no hurry umfix'in to weld lock diff. gears
on 87 Sam on last week June can give my homebrew recipe.

later

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I know people that are good welders and have a big arc welder and try to weld a rear diff, but it breaks.. You should get it done by a professional, becuase im sure it will break.

I would scan some of my Factory suzuki manual, but i lent it to my friend.. maybe somone else can help out?

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not in a hurry. I gonna try to get CALMINI ROCKCRAWLER Transfer Case Gear set before I lock the rear, so your homebrew recipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pillard

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Anton, did you take it to a 4X4 shop? If not them, then who? How much did they charge? I tried to get a local 4X4 shop to do some welding for me and they told me they didn't do that.

Pillard

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
No i got my friend to get it welded. Theres a good welder where he works, he got it done for free. Theres goto be some welding and machine shops in your area that can do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.