Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard before (but don't remember where) about the down falls of the 16.5 tires over the 15" tires.
I am swapping in a 60 front and 14 bolt rear under a 84 CJ-7. I know that I can make a 15" wheel fit the 14 bolt but it sure seems pretty tight for even a 16" wheel to fit the 60.
What do you guys think??????

Peanut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 16.5 has many downfalls. I can't blame you for wanting 15" wheels. From what I hear the 15" will fit depending on the backspacing. I have also heard that you might need to grind the calipers a little. Let me know how the 60/14 bolt works. As you have seen with my other post I'm debating an axle swap also. LOL.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only down side I have heard of to 16.5" wheels is their lack of a so called safety beads. They apparently have no "lip" to help hold the tire bead, so air pressure is all you have holding the tire in place. This makes airing down impossible. I was planning to run 16.5" on my CJ after my axle swap (working on a 44 front and a 60 full float rear). Does anyone know if this is correct? I ran 16.5"'s on my 3/4 ton ford with 38's and had no problems, but I never dealt with airing down. Will screwing the tire to the rim (old drag racing trick) help? How about beadlocks?

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been running 16.5's on a 77 C-20 Chevy and a 67 IH 1100 Travelall for over 15 years with no problems. Never done any rock crawling with these trucks, but they go all over the farm and through the woods and logging roads with no problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that the I had to grind down the caliper on the 3/4 ton 44 front to make the 15" wheels fit but the 60 calipers seem to be alot bigger than the 44's are.

Tim- I already have the 60 under the frame and after today I am going to have the rear end installed with the new locker and carrier. I would like to knock off some of the weight of the 14 bolt by putting on disc brakes but the cost is too much for the moment since I have to spend the moeny elsewhere first. Shocks, driveshafts, ect.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
16.5 are old school,
16" (on most new 3/4 & 1-ton vehicles) are made just like 15" and the aftermarket tire selection for this size is getting better all the time. i'm just guessing, clearance issues (brakes, tierods etc...) have to be about the same for 16.5 to 16

as already said, 15" will require more modification to use. i think the only benifit would be more sidewall flexing, (but on a 38" diameter tire your probably talking about 11 to 11 & 1/2 sidewall, only about 1/2 inch different.)

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After years of watching guys spin 16.5's off the rim, a buddy of mine got daring & dropped pressure on his down to 22 lbs. Meanwhile, I'm running around on 5 lbs in the front & 2 lbs in the rear on my 15's with no problems (almost no weight on the rear in my V8-powered Toyota). If you don't air down, no problem. If you do, forget about 16.5's.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.