Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago a friend of mine gave me a 1979 Chevy Suburban 4x4.It sat in his yard for 4 years and started every 6 months or so. It was an Ex-Kentucky Forestry Vehicle....all stock with 350/th350, np203 tranfer case, 31x10.50 tires on stock rims and primered in 3 different colors. The next week I painted it USArmy OD Green and that is all I have done to it so far. I'm new to the 4x4 scene and this forum has been the best source for the information I have been looking for. I am posting the before and after pics of the "Suburbanator". Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do?

Jack it up 12" then stuff some 44's under it with d60 front and 14bolt rear then get a 502zz crate motor then you can give it to me :):)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sounds good but I really would like to keep it....lol.
I am thinking of a lift and some bigger tires but I don't know where to start. I have looked at a few rides on the net and really like the lifts and big tires. I don't do any offroading....yet, but it will somewhat used as a tow vehicle. I need to know what brand/type of lift and a good tire/rim size to go with, to get me started. Any HELP is welcome. Tough Luck SlyDog, lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I have two Subs! If you plan on using your sub as a tow rig, I would not lift very much or put on large tires. Large tires will reduce your power to tow unless you replace the gears in the axles. If you still want to lift stay around 4" and Skyjacker has been good for my Sub.http://www.tennessee4x4.com/rocketcity/steve_curet.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The cool thing about the suburban is that you can lift higher without sacrificing as much stability or ride comfort as a blazer. The reasons are (A) the distance between the axles allow you to make more abrupt manuvers at higher speeds, mind you I'm talking like 65 mph. The down side is that if you do go offroad, a blazer can go over small mounds, rocks and streams because the axles are closer together and the rig wont get hung up in the middle.
(B)the length of the rear springs in a blazer is longer than a suburban, if you are gonna do a spring lift, then make sure you get the right ones. Longer springs allow for less of an arch to produce the same given lift. Less arch means smoother ride.
My burban's got 4" heavy duty front springs and 4" rear springs+2 1/4 blocks all superlift, and it sits just about even,maybe a hair higher in the back.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
-Homer Simpson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanx titanic. I ran across your ride while running through the forum and I like the way yours looks. I will be towing only every once in a while and it is going to be my daily ride. I just don't want it to look too stock. Not too many lifted 4x4's here in Blytheville Arkansas, so I don't have anyone here to talk to about what I want or need. Thanx again EVERYONE for any input.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

I thought only 3/4 ton trucks/burbs and 1 ton trucks had the longer(56") springs while all others had 52" springs?

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.