Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some oppinons (Yuppies driving suv\'s)

For current issues class (it's a blow off class you decide what you want to reasearch and do) I have a paper due tomorow about vehicle emissions and I'm going to add to it information about people that don't have uses for SUV's and trucks. You know the soccer mom that doesn't even know how to put her expedition into 4wd and whould be driving a nice mini van. What do you guys think about the topic? How should it be regulated? Should people care about this? Anything else you guys want to add is fine w/ me.

Thanks
BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

G

·
Re: I need some oppinons (Yuppies driving suv\'s)

BarrelRoll-

When I woke up this morning I was in the United States Of America, but your question makes me not so sure. Regulation on who can drive an SUV? What kind of a pinko-commi-granola-head idea is that? I HAVE THE GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO DRIVE ANY VEHICLE THAT I CARE TO DRIVE THAT I CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR!!!!!!!! NEITHER YOU NOR ANY OTHER PERSON ON THIS PLANET HAS THE RIGHT TO LIMIT MY CHOICE, BE IT BY LEGISLATION, TAXATION, OR ANY OTHER MEANS!!!!!!!!!

I drove vans for 10 years when my 4 children were younger and reached a point in my life that I did not want to drive a van any longer and bought an Expedition. (I still need all the seats to haul my grandchildren around, and I still coach soccer.) I like the ride, the space, the ability to have 4 wheel drive when I want it, and the fact that it is one of the larger hunks of metal out there on the road should my wife or I be involved in an accident. It is your kind of thinking that has led to the gradual loss of our freedoms.

The bottom line is- If you can pay for the vehicle, the insurance, plate, and gas, you have the right to dive what ever you want with out a penalty for your choice, PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Kriss

·
Registered
352 Posts

Not to say that I don't feel the same way but the reality of the matter is that I live in New Mexico. The state regulates me by issuance of a drivers license, the state regulates my vehicle by the issuance of a registration and plate. I have to comply with state and county motor vehicle laws and codes. The federal government regulates my vehicle with emissions and safety standards. If I comply with all of this I am granted the privelege to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. I'm not saying this is what I would choose the reality to be but it is the reality of the matter. Nowhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights am I afforded the "right" to operate a motor vehicle./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

I agree...sort of with Saddle_tramp. I feel that evrybody should be allowed to drive what they want to, yet I also believe that to drive a SuperSUV, you should have more training. If I could have a dollar for every idiot that drives those things like they were Hondas, I would be a millionare. You need a CDL to drive a Rig...why not for a superSUV. Besides, the fact that Saddle_trampo is on here shows that he knows how to drive one of these things. Most people don't. SOooooo....don't "regulate", but it may be worth it to make it harder to get the licsence to drive one on road.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

·
Registered
418 Posts

All I could possibly add to that is F*@! YEA!!

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I know there's no hope to regulating it but maybe there would be a way to make it harder to get your hands on one. I know it's your right to drive what ever the [email protected] you wnat. I like the suv driver's liscinse idea. Are most of you people against the idea of yuppies driving suv's that they don't need? My dad drives a 99xj and doesn't use the 4x4 (I have wheeled it though before I got my yj) but it was going to be my rig but I got a swb, I still steel the rig on occasion to tow our boyscout trailer so I wouldnt' call it a complete waste. Once he decides to get rid of it he'll probably be forced into getting a car and by then I'll have a real tow rig for the trailer.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif There are really two aspects to the use of an SUV, and they both boil down to "consumer choice". The first is cost, and the second is COST OF OPERATION. The yuppies haven't yet figured out how much of a penalty they are paying for "status" when they select an SUV to drive on pavement 364 days per year./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif If you began regulating who could purchase what, where does it end? Clothes? We could all wear black Mao PJs like the Chi-Comms did in the heyday of the commie takeover./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif THERE ARE a few counties where engine displacement is taxed, however, so low cube, high efficiency engines win by delivering more for less. Here is the point that you can make: Consumerism in the U.S. has always been driven by STYLE and ADVERTISING rather than function. By buying an SUV, the urban-trapped yuppie can THINK he is an off-road capable PIONEER, and it makes up for his drone-like robotic existence in the Dilbert world of corporate America./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif I have long thought that there was a market for "Off-Road Adventures" where you set up a course that yuppies can drive which has water holes with smooth concrete bottoms; real sandy-loam mud (over concrete of course) that washes off easily, and a car wash, gift shop and Latte kiosk at the end of the trail where the yuppies can gather around, sip Cappuchino, and talk about "Makin' It Through!" /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif The SUV is an IDEA.....a SYMBOL, and it hooks up with who Americans think they are.....rugged individualists......pioneer stock.....tough guys. I just hope that the same feeling is still here when the UN starts collecting the guns./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifWhen my kids were little we had Suburbans. First a three-door model which was great for little twerps because nobody sat next to a door; then later a 454-powered 3/4T behemoth which; when launched between stop lights and then braked heavily; was a HUGE consumer of fuel AND brakes. Over 6000 lbs of tough Detroit iron, full-floater rear axle, TH400 tranny, and VERY secure./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I DID have sense enough to know not to buy a 4 X 4 for that ONE time we went to snow camp. Subs are so good in snow that with chains I could go anywhere./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

My wife's car is a bone stock 94 XJ 4x4 Sport. She drives it to and from work, and if you were to see her on the 405 you would think "there goes another one". The decision to purchase the XJ was based on the winter conditions of rural Utah. Now that we live in SoCal the XJ see's very little 4x time. We do occasionally take it off-road while sightseeing or just generally putzing around, but nothing difficult. We took it to Utah elk hunting last year and it saw a little harder use than usual and we were glad to have it. Do we NEED it? No. Did it make sense when we bought it? Yes. Should we be required to give it up now? Sure, you just try to come take it!

What would happen if only those who use their 4x4 vehicles for off-roading were allowed to buy 4x4s? The manufacturers wouldn't make any 4x4's the market would be too small. Those "yuppie dorks" and "soccer moms" driving SUV's ARE the primary market. While I'm at it I might let you in on another tip. The "poser street-Jeeps" we joke about help to keep the aftermarket manufacturers we depend on in business and help to lower prices for you and me. I wonder how many lift kits would be available and how much they would cost if it weren't for all the "posers"? We have all seen tons of truck running around on 38 to 44 inch tires that you know never leave the pavement. Try to imagine how much 38 to 44 inch tires would cost if these guys weren't buying so many of them. I think it's silly too, but let 'em have their fun. In the end it makes things better for us.

72 CJ-5: 305 Chevy; SM420; D-300; 30/44 with 5.38's, Warn axles, and Detroits

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I'd like to know where it's written that to own an SUV you have to take it off road.

My SUV has 4 doors, does that mean I have to use them?

It also has ABS, does that mean I have to use it as well?

I use my SUV ('95 Isuzu Trooper) like a truck, I haul wood in it, load it with junk, and even use it as a daily driver. Do I rock crawl with it? Nope. Heck, most of the time it never even goes off-road. I bought it for 4 reasons. I like the cargo space it has, for the 2 times a year I travel to camp, the comfort, and for the winter driving. Otherwise it doesn't even get shifted into 4WD. So what. It's my option and it's there when I need it or want it. So what if a lot of people don't take their SUV's off road, why should what they do or not do have ANY impact on anyone else whatsoever. That's part of the problem in today's world, people are more concerned with what everyone else is doing rather than what they (themselves) are doing.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

Again, all of those who have responded have indicated both a wealth of knowledge and a defense in which they have outlined their uses. The use of these SUVS by the "posers" has helped the aftermarket as previously stated, but it has also driven the price of a pick-up way higher than it needs to be.

What I find (working in a VERY high dollar yuppy world) is that the "average" yuppy has absolutely NO CLUE what they are driving. They take up two spaces and back over the guardrails and ropes (I had to fix a number of period metal stakes b/c some idiot forgot that the back of her vehicle exists!) and then when they have the chance to prove themselves by actually venturing off-road...they balk! I saw a lady driving a Mercedes Benz leave the road and park on the grass because there wasn't any paved parking left. Not two minutes later, I had to deal with a lady who screamed at me b/c she didn't want to drive her Landrover on the dirty grass!!!!!!!

I HATE regulation to prevent the ownership and operation of many of lifes joys, yet the fact remains that not everybody has the ability to be responsible. We talk about "honorable professions" and "Character". Not everybody (in fact the vast majority lack) has a clue! Most people float through life and are very lucky they have the laws they have.

Remember...we are not "average", we are people who can look at the underside of a vehicle and identify all of the components. We discuss how to swap axles and engines between vehicles....not what chanel suit or whatnot we should buy.

Anyway...its moot point anyway...most manufacturers are going to those beefed up mini-vans now. Oh well....more parts vehicles.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

G

·

Just a thought, I've been married a few years now and we are thinking of sacrificing all of our spare time and money to have a couple of rugrats in the future, one thing we've talked about was our refusal to drive a minivan. Minivan's are fine for those who choose to drive them but it's not me, and jeep chic feels the same. If we were to end up with three of the little devils they won't fit in a car. We won't drive a van so that leaves an SUV. If I buy an SUV it must be a newer one, reliable, nice. It will not go off road like my Jeep does, to get scratched paint etc. Does this mean I shouldn't be allowed to drive an SUV?

87 YJ 4.2L 31's TR upgrade, looking for MSD, Rochester 2G Carb

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif You could do like our neighbor did and buy a TWO-WHEEL DRIVE Grand Cherokee. That way you are in a nice safe SUV but don't have the penalty of more machinery to rob you of fuel mileage./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I'm with you......I hate vans./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
did you see the \"rice boy \" link?

I've seen cars that give the appearance of speed while actually compromising the safety of the vehicle. I've even driven my date's son's low-rider--face it--it's a turn-on for the chicks! Why waste all your time trying to look like Joe Macho when a nice wax job will get your knob waxed!
(Don't forget the musk cologne)

·
Registered
166 Posts

Reading that page sloop posted and doing some research of my own it would seem most suv drivers are just uneducated.

It sure enlighted me as to why our maxima has such a small frame. That happens to be cracked from a wreck but the car drives fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Here's a quote. And yes i love my CJ :)

"Q4: Aren't SUVs safer?
A: It depends

This ladder frame design is lethal when it comes to accidents. While SUV owners can take comfort that the rigid frame would quite possibly pierce through weaker vehicles with little deformation, they are probably less aware of the fact that collision with something much larger than them would lead to little shock absorption by the frame, thus transmitting the bulk of the impact forces onto their bodies. High g forces of internal organs colliding with the skeleton is a major cause of car accident deaths. If a SUV crashes into a smaller, softer object it comes out ahead. However if it crashes into something infinitely stiff such as a concrete wall it loses out compared to a modern car. This explains the apparent contradiction between real world experience and government crash testing reports."

G

·

Can people drive whatever they want? Sure. Are others entitled to their opinion about it? Sure #2. Example: There are plenty soccer-mom SUVs around here. I saw a woman just yesterday driving an Excursion. I could barely see her head in the window. She pulled out of a parking lot and bounced over the curb screwing up the landscaping. Does she feel safe in her monstrosity? Probably. Does she account for the fact that although she may be safer in an accident, she's also more likely to be involved in one, and may seriously injure others? Doubt it. Why should she care? Does she think she looks cool? Probably. Do I think she looks cool? I think she looked like a hollow, materialistic hypocrite. But hey - if it makes her feel better, who am I to stop her?

Opinion #2 - I have great respect for those who drive minivans. I think, for the most part, minivan owners are intelligent, conservative and extremely practical. The minivan is one of the automotive industry's best kept secrets. For less than the price of an Excursion or Tahoe, do you know what you can get? Just as much room, just as much traction and capability, just as much safety, and a boat load more options and creature comforts. But you may not "look cool" in the eye of trendiness. I guess it boils down to whether or not you (honestly) care what others think.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

·
Registered
166 Posts

Some people might point out our cj's being dangerous to other automobiles because they're more likely to wreck, and thus cause others to wreck.

But they'd be missing the fact that most if not all cj drivers are provably ten times more alert as to whats going on around them cause of the provability of them wrecking the vehicle. At least everyone ive known is.

All I've heard about is wranglers flipping and going into ravines. Not to discredit the wrangler owners on this board. And every drivers different so im sure there's longer wheelbase suv owners that are good drivers.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

You could be applying the same theories to sportscars for that matter. Should I be flamed by Corvett lovers if I buy one and never have it go faster than the posted speed limit. Someone could say - "well - she should have bought a 6 cylinder Camaro if she wasn't going to go fast."

I was talking to a guy who said his dream was to own a Lambroghini & one day he did, but then found out it was uncomfortable & the maintenance was outragously expensive, so he sold it. I asked him - "so what is the fastest you ever had it" - expecting - 150MPH or so and he said "I don't think I ever had it over 80" So... whats the point of the Lambroghini - because it is what he wanted. He liked the style.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com

G

·

"The minivan is one of the automotive industry's best kept secrets. For less than the price of an Excursion or Tahoe, do you know what you can get? Just as much room, just as much traction and capability, just as much safety, and a boat load more options and creature comforts"

I'll give you the fact that you will get as much room. As for the rest it's all Barbara Streisand. My mom drives a 99 GC Limited with quadra-drive she is 54 yrs old and basically shuttles my neices everywhere they need to go. A mini van will not have anywhere near the traction, safety, manueverability, visibility nor comfort of a grand. My mom is pretty much a soccer mom except Grandmom. Mini vans are she-at we had one when I was a kid a caravan and it had 5 transmissions before it was out of warranty, a wiring harness caught on fire behind the dash and dumped toxic smoke into the van, and the air conditioner quit about 5 months after the warranty expired. You sit on top of the motor in most of them so in a head on you are f'ed. Not to mention you can't even drive over a curb if you need to.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 84 cj7 Laredo /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Superior 1 piece, more to come...../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 49 Posts