Off Roading Forums banner

I need some opinions please

298 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  WILL 
G
#1 ·
I know this isn't the Full Size Board, but its hard to get any response there. I'm redoing my 75 J-10, 360, Quadra-Trac (slipping badly) TH400 (leaking very badly) I'm looking to upgrade the Transmission/Drivetrain section and have a few ways to go. A: Rebuild current B: TF-727, Dana 300 and lockouts, C: TF-727 NP208, 44HD, Dana 60, lockouts. I figure the price of C: to be about $550 with the lockouts Hubs. I can find Dana 300's for around 250 - 350, then I need hubs, and the TF-727. So I'm not sure of which way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

G
#2 ·
A will, of course, be your cheapest option. Rebuild your TH400 and do the clutch cone mods that CJDave has done to the Quadratrac x-fer. This would be your best be if you live in the snow.

B would be a bad idea in my opinion. The only weakness of that setup would be the output of the D300. In a lightwieght CJ that combo would probably live great for years, but the added weight and work that a good truck will bring probably will cause some problems.

C is a good combo if you decide against the Quadratrac. It will probably be the strongest of all of these. It will also be around the most expensive.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ

G
#3 ·
I'm kinda trying to get rid of the Quadra-Trac, I think it's pretty shot anyway with the tranny. For $550 doesn't that sound like the thing to do. Because then its at least done drivtrain wise.

#4 ·
When I rebuilt my trans/transfer a year and a half ago, it cost me $225 for the trans with a torque converter and about $125 for a transfer case chain.

As long as you keep fluid in the transfer case and replace the chain about every 40k miles, it will last a long time unless you do some extreme rock crawling. Mines been living with a 360 and lockrights and not jumping yet. When it does, I'll just replace the chain and keep on going.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.