Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 88 Bronco with a 351W. I am doing the engine on test and I am getting some codes. THe codes I am receiving are as follows. 42- which I believe is the 02 sensor, 33 I dont know. With the engine off I get codes 84,13,33. Any help would be great

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what problems are you having that made you go check the codes? I'm having some problems and I suspect it's the EGR valve. I was going to check the codes tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The exhaust started to smell a little rich. It did not do that before. Then the engine lite would come on after driving around for about 20 minutes. When I am at a light for a decent amount of time the idle starts out fine and smooth but then it idles real rought for about a second or two then dleans up. I have ordered the EGR to change and maybe the o2 as well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Speaking of codes....Where do I plug the code reader into on a 86 5.0L EFI F-150. I figure it will be the same as on a bronco from the same year. I found the one on my 95 bronc, but the one on the 86 is no where to be found. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my truck it was located on the drivers side about 6 inch's from the hood hinge. It consisted of 2 connections. 1 about 1"x2" and the other is a 1/4" square. My truck is fuel injected so it might be a little different but it still should be located in the same general area.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What year is your truck? What you described was EXACTLY where my 95 is, but I'm beginning to wonder if my 86 EFI even has one. If it does have one, it may be in a different spot because its only 2WD. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Connector

Your '86 is different because it's not an EEC-IV computer - I've never found a way to pull codes from pre-'87 Fords. I think the diagnostic connector on them is under the dash. It's red and looks JUST like the larger one mcrackin described, but on EEC-IV, it's black. '93-96 Broncos use the red one for the 4WABS connector.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The plug on an 86 Bronco is over by the battery just underneath where the starter solenoid is on mine there are two plugs one has several wires and the other is a single wire this is where you plug in your code reader. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts