Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
First of all, what engine do you have? Were the heads resurfaced? and hopefully not on a belt surfacer, longitudinal gouges in the surface is a sure way to tell.
If you have a 5.0, they do crack externally along the lower head bolt boss area, but it is rare, however it happened to me, a 12 inch long crack. what did you torque the bolts to and what brand head gaskets?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
well the holes in the block do go thru to the coolant passage, try removing the bolt and reinstalling it with non-hardening permatex,silicone will never set up.
But i torque them to 80.Fel-pro i believe,recommends 80 on long bolts, 65 on shorter outers however i have heard people experience trouble with the 65lbs on the outers.
Drain some of the coolant first though/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I would just go back and retorque them all to avoid possible future problem,since you all ready have a leak right off the bat,but its up to you. Just go back and check your brothers work/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif,put the sealer on just that bolt.
Permatex and silicone are two different products, i wouldnt recommend silicone because it may not {cure}, down in the threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.