Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cj-5 and want to put a tilt steering column in it. I am planning on picking something out of a junk jard if possible. What vehicles had a tilt column that would require the least modifications to fit in my Jeep?
Thanks
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW! i'm in the perfect position to help you here (somewhat). I too am looking for a tilt column. After some research, I came up with the following acceptable solutions to fit a CJ5. For a longer style column go with a Chevy van or full size mid 80's pickup. (personally those don't allow enough clearance between steering wheel and my beer gut). Or for a shorter column look for a mid 80's model Monza, Cavalier or Sunbird. They should all match up to your gear box just fine.

Matter of fact, Snowtow had a Monza to peek at and he says the Monza will fit the jeep and even has a collapsable column which can reduce the length. This is the solution I'm going with. However, a local column expert suggested I take the column out of my Jeep and down to the yard with me to make sure I have an acceptable match. You may want to do the same.

Remember also that if you have a stock CJ wiring harness for 76 or earlier and the key is in the dash you'll have to make a new harness. All the newer tilt wheels that I mention have the ignition switch on the column and use a GM modular type harness out of the column.

HOpe that helps.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info....This BBS is great, you guys ALLWAYS seem to have the answers!!!

78 cj-5 all fiberglass, chev.350 .30 over eddlebrock manifold and 4 barrel carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.