Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well seeing that i am about to start a complete rebuild i need a dig camera. What kind of reguirements should i look for? I would like something about 75% into the market, not to expensive but not obsolete. I would also like to be able to print photos that look pretty good. Thanks- Tim

sell me your jeep please!!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
came someone explain how many pixles i need to do certaint things. Also what kind of "storage" devices are out there? How much memory do i need the camera to have? Thanks- Tim

sell me your jeep please!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Cameras that connect through a USB port and cameras that require you to have a USB memory card reader may require Windows 98 or better, so make sure your computer supports what you by. I don't think much of digital zoom, optical zoom is much better and helps compensate for the lower resolution of digital cameras (compared to optical) by allowing you to get "closer" to the subject.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
A flash is good, and I prefer one that uses AA batteries. a 1 Mp camera is good to about 4x6 prints, whereas the 2 Mp and above is 8x10 quality. Remember, you can always scale down, never up. I find my 2.3 Mp camera is nice because I can crop out sections of the photo and they don't loose quality, and they're about 4x6 then and crystal clear.

Do a search on this, we've covered digital cameras before.

Sears (of all places), has my camera the Toshiba PDR-M60 for $300, which is a good deal. It's a 2.3 Mp camera, USB, 2.5x optical zoom, AA batteries, macro, and it takes exceptional pictures, many of which I print out 8x10 (costs me about $1.50 each). I also bought a 64 Mb card ($100) for it and can store 914 pictures at low resolution and 64 pictures at max resolution, with multiple resolutions between. What is also nice is to get one with a separate viewfinder from the LCD on the back, so it doesn't "eat" batteries. I can take about 200 with the flash and about 400 without, which means long times between recharging the NiMh batteries, which is all you should use. Also, avoid some of the "special" batteries certain cameras take, the batteries can cost up to $80 each themselves. I can also download a full size picture in about 4 seconds with the USB, on a Pentium 233 running Win ME, it takes about a second at the lower resolutions.

What are you running for a computer, how much memory, speed, and operating system? Also, what are you looking to spend for money, that'll really detrmine what you can buy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I wish i could afford one of the Sony's we use here at work. We have the Sony Mavica's which use a 3.5" floppy that inserts into the camera to store the pictures, so you just keep inserting the diskettes until you have all the pictures you want, plus you have them stored for you. How many pictures you get per disk depends on the resolution settings, you can get about 25 pictures or so which isn't bad, and even at the lowest resolution the pictures are fantastic. I've been trying to check one out here for months so I can take it home and get some pictures of my Jeeps to post, but someone always has it checked out /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif. unfortunately the camera runs $700 and up I think. Oh well.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
786 Posts
We have the sony here at work and for us (and me) it can't be beat. Stores on floppy so there are never any compatibility issues to worry about. Sharing photos is a snap since the camera will do a disk copy all on it's own. I can snap a disk load of pictures and make as many disk copies as I need and pass them out to people that want them right on the spot. No computer necessary. It is excellent for computer/web page work. No cables/memory disk adapters/other hoopla to worry about. Snap picture, insert floppy in computer and go to town. The floppy style sonys may not have the highest resolution available but it is MORE than adequate for the average joe that wants it for web based activities and it's ease of use/versatility can't be beat. Even it's printed photos are very good quality. You really couldn't go wrong. Also, I believe the pricing has come down considerably. You can still spend big bucks on the sony line but there should be something within an acceptable price range for you.

G

·
I just picked up a Ricoh camera for all the reasons you just mentioned above.
2.3mp 3x optical zoom plus another 3 digital zoom, macro (allows you to take a
pic of something 2 inches away), has a flash and external flash attachment,
uses AA batteries (comes with a set of alkaline and one set of NiMh) and a
charger for the NiMh batteries, comes with digital cable to play back your pictures
on your TV, power cable so that you don't have to wear down your batteries
during playback or downloads, and USB and RS-232 cables for both your PC
and/or your MAC, and a wrist strap, carrying case and video that walks you thru
from setting up to their advanced features. There are no adapters, batteries,
chargers or anything extra I feel I need to buy in order to make this camera work
for me. Plus it comes with software programs that allow me to download,
crop/adjust and customize my pictures in more ways than I care to.
This is my first digital camera, and at around $350 at Fry's I can't believe I didn't
pick one up sooner.
-Gus-

90YJ 4.2L NV4500 456:1 33's Twin ARB's XD9000i - San Diego, Cal.

G

·
I have a Nikon 880 (about $650.00). I like it. However, if I was in the market now, I'd buy the Olympus C-3040 (about $800.00). Supposedly, Olympus and Epson are the leaders. Especially if you're in to any kind of macro-photography.

Joey

G

·
The easiest way to shop is to buy the best camera you can afford. We bought a kodak for about $500 and it works great. That is about the minimum. The cheaper models take crappy pictures. Software is almost as important as the camera. I would suggest adobe photoshop or something similar.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Check out Ebay, I just did and they had some pretty good prices on the Mavicas, just do a search for the type of camera you want (e.g. Sony Mavica) and see if you can find one for a discounted price.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

1 - 11 of 11 Posts