Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a trip out the the Shennandoah (sp) National Forest Yesterday (about which more later..it was a blast!) and discovered the my little handheld cb just is not up to the job. We had 22 vehicles and I couldn't reach out and touch the leader. So Its time toget a "real" CB.

I'm thinking I sort of like that new Cobra (75 wx st) that lets you mount the box out of sight and you control everything from the handset. There isn't really lots room in the 'finders dash so the remote mount seems like a good idea. I also need advice on a good antenna, I figure on mounting it to the tire carrier near the hinge so its out of the way.

Thanks

Brian Oberle
95 Pathfinder XE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brian, I don't know how much differently yours is set up, but I had a CB unit mounted under my stereo console in front of my gear shifters. I'll send you a picture. But I went to Radio Shack and got their brand (don't remember what they call it right now and I don't want to get dressed to go look at it). Anyway, they have a special antenna that can transmit or receive CB signals as well as stereo FM and AM signals (simultaneously, for those interested - CB and radio). I love the thing, and I can hear across town with it. It's a full 40 channel CB, and I don't remember it being too expensive. You might want to check it out too. I love only having one antenna as it is less likely to invite a break-in as well.

Kyle Smith, 87 PF XE-V6
Nissan Off-Road Webring
www.angelfire.com/tn/pathfdr87/ring.html

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm selling a Midland for $75.00 check out my OEM parts for sale post for more details and I also mounted it in the dash under my stereo. You might have a bit of trouble finding a "GOOD" cobra that will fit there though, cobra's are usually pretty big and wide. Antenna I would recomend is a WILSON Silverload Flexy, it's great for wheeling because it has lot's of flex so you won't need one of those goofy springs and the reception etc has been great also. This antenna is also tunnable so if you have an SWR meter your set?
Goog Luck!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Brian, you do!

Hey Brian.

If you liked mine, I have a Cobra CB installed in my dash and the antenna was a K-40 4' fiberglass whip. I wish I had thought to show you the radio when we were looking at my antenna. The combo really works when it is tuned. Unfortunately, I screwed around without hooking up to my SWR meter.Email me if you want more info!

Tim (TopDog)

Tim T.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello, forget about getting a CB that fits! your first priority should be getting a good CB. I have a RCI 2970 in my 87 it's huge 100 watts output all the channels upper lower everything, I have it bolted to my glove box, I really don't care if I made holes cause it works very good, I can talk skip on it from florida to NY if I want and across town is no prob, Also get a good aaantenna the ant is the most important thing, I suggest a wilson 1000 or a K-40 I run a wilson 1000 permenenly mounted thru my roof, works excellent and no wire to see anymore, oh well just wanted to give my opinion,

TONY(HARDBODY)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts