Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sucks! The last owner (MORON!) of my CJ decided to put enough Bondo in to build a boat! So far I have everything but the cowl ground down to bare metal (or what's left of it) and I'm sitting here blowing pink snot (yeah, I know - should be wearing a mask but don't any more...). Once this friggen thing is welded back together, I can sit back and not worry about it rotting for a while. I think the next time I have to do major body work I'm just gonna buy a new tub.

Spent yesterday torching off the body mount bolts in preparation for some minor frame repair (rear hanger - anyone surprised?), cleaning of the frame, and installation of a 2" BL. My original plan was to make tube fenders similar to the ones seen here but since this rig will be driven on the street, I'm worried about the cops yanking me for not having mud flaps.

Pics will follow soon (waiting for the dust to settle so I don't ruin my GF's digital camera)!

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

G

·
I hear you about hating body work, I still have a six inch dent in my right front fender that I do not believe will ever get fixed. I half heartedly kinda pounded it out a little, and probably have no intention of doing any more!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no intention of making this body straight. I honestly could not care less! I'm gonna be taking it out in the woods anyways, so why slather it with bondo just to have it crack when the body flexes? Most people don't understand that bondo is not really "body filler". That's what Mar-Gloss (tigerhair) is for. It's much stronger, and will not crack like bondo. Bondo is namely used for body imperfections like scratches and the like.

I would rather spend the time making the body stronger than making it straight!

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I hear you on the bondo thing! I would rather crawl under a filthy, greasy '50 Buick and jerk a 300 Lb Dynaflow transmission than fix a dent in a fender. NOT THAT I CAN'T DO IT; I just don't like to, and I can't always do it to my satisfaction, whereas with a frame mount or anything of a heavy material nature I'm a Rembrandt./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.