Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my headers installed , 2 1/2 body lift to clear the headers, and cut my fenders, and cut my front bumper. You can do alot of stuff when you get past that first fear of cutting body panels. Take a look.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Attachments

G

·
Looks great! I wanna do the same thing with my fenders but I've got bigger fish to fry right now. Did you do anything to the fenders but cut? If not how'd you handle the edges? It looks really clean from the pics. Nice job.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to cut the fenders after my 33's met the lif and won. I thought, if i screwed it up oh well, i will get new fenders anyway. The first thing i did was take a pencil and draw the cut. I went with the natural curve of the wheel well. I made the cut after the lip of the fender. What i mean of lip[ is the bulge at the edge of the fender that is about an inch wide. If you go any further to the top, then i think the strucural integrity of the fender will be compromised. I can still keep my beer on the fender without it collapsing /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif The front of the fender i followed the fender/grill seam and went up. I stopped about 2 - 3 inches from the top and went towards the other line that was made on the side. It all is persoanl preference. After the pencil lines were made and all the little revisions of the drawing is made, i then Took masking tape and placed it along side of the line. This gave me a better representation of what not to cut. You can take a sawzall and do the cut, but i used a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel. This worked great for me. It seemed to cut alot quickre than a sawzall. When i did the cut i left a little space from the cut line, this let me fine tune the cut later. what i mean is cut off what you can, then clean it later. After the cut. i grinded everything smooth. i took a file to every edge and made it clean.
I hope you understand everything. If you need some help you can write me and i can clear any other questions. The jeep feels real mean after cutting the fenders. I also bobbed my front bumper to the frame sides. Now i have a great approach angle.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

G

·
Thanks I'll probably do that sooner than later. I hadn't thought about the cut off wheel. I use flex-o-vit razor blades and they work great. Thanks for the info.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
hey nice jeep, looks like you know what your doing!, that looks pretty sweet!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lookin' good, Dan. Don't suppose you could do me a favor? I need the measurements (height, width, depth) of your fuel filler recess mount. Trying to work out some final details for my Scrambler and someone suggested looking into an early CJ-5 filler mount. TIA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.