Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, today the Big boss at Big Blue said: "All contract labor will cease Feb 8th. So, my immediate schedule is:
I am employed for 8 more days. Then I am unemployed for a while. I feel very relieved. Like a big burden has been lifted off of my back. I might think of a career change. Something more with music production. But, I will wait an see what comes why way. Anyway, peace.

On a sad note, no new Jeep stuff for a while.

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift33BFG's on the way. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A - DOA.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
sorry to hear that...my wife works at Motorola, they came i yesterday and advised her (and two co-workers) she still had a job, but told her (and the other two) they should probably leave and come back after lunch> After which they proceeded to go in and lay off the rest of the workers in her section...about 5 people. She was relieved to still have a job, but very sad to lose alot of her very close friends to lay offs.../wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Welcome to our ranks Young Jedi. While being unemployed is not a lot of fun, you have the right attitude about it. A lot of people will have advice about job hunting, but don't forget to do something every day that makes you happy. Personally, I've accomplished this by doing lots of cheap, but very time intensive Jeep projects.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That sure does suck, but, look on the bright side, my company is always hiring/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I may not like what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Semper Jeep

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,706 Posts
If you want a vacation, don't call anybody, don't answer the phone.

I am an independent contract engineer dedicated to the conveyor business. The company I was with cut me loose the Friday before Thanksgiving. I was ready to enjoy some time off. I hadn't been able to get more than a few days off in the last five years.

I called a friend of mine, who is also a contractor, to see how he was doing. I didn't get an answer so I left a message to call me at the house, then I went to the bar. When I got home, I had a message on the recorder from him. I returned his call the next morning. He never heard of the recession, told me he was in a joint venture with a company he and I had worked for about five years ago. He told me how much work they had so I said that I guessed that I was available. He said he guessed that because I told him to call me at home and he had work lined up for me. The next thing I knew I was working again but I think it's going to end tomorrow though.

Now, if I can only get the weather to cooperate, I can get the Jeep's rusted frame and tired engine replaced. Having been constantly employed for the last five years and with no wife or live in girlfriend to help spend my money, I managed to save back my entire last years after tax salary, including a real nice bonus, the uncashed checks from this year, and a little still left over from 2000. I knew this day would come, so I made sure I made sure that I was prepared.

Hopefully, people will start buying cars again before much of that is gone and I won't have to dip into the mutual funds, stocks, bonds, Krugerrands, 401k, etc. Both the local Ford and GM plants have put projects on hold due to poor sales. I don't think I'm ready to retire yet, I really enjoy what I do and I'm not ready to change my lifestyle. I have said before though that it would be nice to know how long a person was going to live so he would know when to retire and enjoy the savings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts