Off Roading Forums banner

i found a wrangler tub and...

737 Views 6 Replies 0 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
I have found a yj tub, and I have a few questions?
Will my cj windshield frame bolt to the yj tub, (i have a yj windshield frame already not installed and no glass but i can not loose my inspection sticker.)
How about my cj dash to keep my gauges even though half of them dont work, (i am working on that but I am trying to keep the down time to the jp to a min (yj were missing them anyways) even though it is not my primary car. How about the yj stearing colum will this work it is already in the tub and is pretty good condition so why not leave it in there.
last but not least will the cj seat stands bolt to the floor properly?
Thanks in advance
84 cj7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G
You can use all the parts you asked about but there are some small problems, the windshield from a cj has differest heating vent holes than the yj frame, so your defroster won't work correctly, you will have to get your heating ducts from a cj to use the cj dash I believe, everything else should be fine.
Dave

G
thanks for the help but...
the cj dash will be a temporary fix until my inspection sticker runs out in august (buying time) i will not need heat in the mean time BUt refresh my memory why i will have to use the cj heating ducts with my cj dash I cant think of why i would need to but i do not think my brain has function all weeken :(
bad week, next week can only get better :p

G
The cj has the holes that connect the frame to the tub in the center and I believe the yj has the wo holes further apart so the hoples in the yj tub and the cj frame won't line up. The cj dash works and I prefer it. If the yj column has the delay and wipers on the column you'l have to do some rather tricky custom wiring to get it to work since everything on a cj is on the dash. Jeepskate covers alot of this cj to yj stuff on his site but I forget his address. I'm sure someone can give it to you.

Al
My web page
G
I just about finished making the same conversion. I would stick with the CJ dash. Less plastic and it looks better. I had a blank dash so I was able to change the look of it to my liking. Changed out the gauges to Autometer and it is nice to have working ones again. I used a CJ windshield frame and like was stated in other post the heater ducts are different. Th YJ's use a plastic duct which exits between the plastic dash pad and the cowl. CJ has holes on the top . Just line up the holes on the windshield frame to the cowl and cut new holes. After that it is attaching the parts together. While you are at it buy and install a Blazer heater motor. Minimal work for better heating system and it is cheaper than a Jeep blower. I am in process of swapping a YJ column into my Jeep now. You need a new u joint end at the end of the column. The YJ column has what is called a DD end and the CJ is splined. I am using Flamming River parts since I already have their intermediate shaft. I was playing with my column this weekend to change wiper switches. It had regular wipers on the column and I wanted intermitt wippers. I purchased a 93 Cherokee column with everything on it at a U-Pull-It yard for $30 and srtipped the switch from it. I had to do some customizing but it functions great. The seats will bolt right in . The tubs are virtually the same. Use your old tub to measure for the few holes you need such as the clutch rod. Some people have moved the body mount in front of rear wheels but there are holes available so you don't have to move them. You will need the body bolts fot the YJ. Some are different sized than CJ. I reused the CJ fenders , Hood and grill. I did the body swap over Thanksgiving Holidays because like you it is my daily driver. I was able to keep it drivable and I am still working on it a little at a time. It looks better than it has ever looked in the 10 years I have owned it. You can get some good information from Rodney's web site. Look him up by his profile here . I know you will have questions. Drop Jeepskate a line or you can e-mail me . Good luck! Brian

See less See more
G
hey
I have a couple of questions, can i use the yj heating box and my cj ducts? does this make sense? The reason why is because the yj heater housing box is much better than my cjs box. also this question is not at the top of priority about what did u do about the whole for the gas tank on the oppistite side. I have brand new diamond plate rockers and older diamond plate corners that are dull and thinking of using them but my friend just bought sheet of aluminum d-plate for a 130 sheet compare to the price of 2 corners that would take up 1/3 of the sheet and still have plenty of it left over, or I could cut my tall used (dull) 4wd hardware and put some kind of pitch on them (4wdh has no angle on them) and than paint them black.

G
To answer your heater box question,yes you can. The bottom section is almost the same. The cables are different styles and fastening types but the electrical connection at the resistor is same. I reused the lower half but changed the fresh air door to YJ style to use the YJ cables. I used the YJ upper section for several reasons. 1. It has two doors in the upper section to allow fresh air in vent. 2. I am using the controls from the YJ to bring my beast into the 21 century. I like the slide controls the wranglers used as apposed to the rusted stuck cable of the CJ. I have just scrounged the dash wiring loom from a scrapped wrangler last weekend so I will be able to make everything work easier. Since I have a 4.0 and the wiring harness for the engine, I will be converting my electrical to completely YJ. Another thing the top section has a vacumn control that assist the door opening and closings. You will need to tap into a vacumn line . Find a Jeep shop manual. They have great pictures of the wiring and connectors. I haven't found a good drawing of cable routing but I will use my friends stripped down YJ to verify routes.

The gas tank I covered the YJ side with new Diamond plate corners and cut a new opening on the passenger side corner. I bought a Tj surround and cut new hole so the opening is on the side of my jeep. I also purchased new tail lights that recess. It came out great. I still need to buy new fuel filler lines . Old lines are a little short but work for now. Check out Jeepskates home page and look in either 4WDSU or JP mag . There is a picture of Sam from Sam's Off-Road and he has TJ surround on passinger side. I hope this helps.

See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.