Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...with my Tj's rear end. I have a 4 liter, dana 35 with traclock. When I start off I hear a clunking noise and get a shimmy. after it is gone i am fine. Any ideas??? Thanks

Jason

I Work to Wheel, because I wheel, I work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have mentioned that it is new from the t-case output shaft ( i bent) to the rear end this was all replace a year ago. so the u-joints are new. This problem is a bit newer and started out quite. It has gotten louder and louder. Also the drivers side break exploded about a year ago for no apperent reason. May be related????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the back end on jack-stands and give the tires a push and pull. If they move in and out, you could have problems. The clunk would not be that unusual from a locker, but the shimmy sounds weird. It could be the locker not fully engaging or something of that nature, which in and of itself may not be bad. It could just be how the locker performs. I would still jack it up and make sure you don't have any side to side play in the axles. Lockers can be hard on c-clip style axles.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Jeep guy at the dealership said not to waste my time and get a dana 44. He might be right. The traclock is a limited slip and not a locker. Would that change your last post???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does change it a little, does it have the right fluid in it? Sometimes the clutches in the limited slips can get grabby. Also I thought of something else, is the TJ rear still a c-clip, or did they move away from the c-clips on the TJ's. I would still make sure that everything feels tight in the rear. The 44 is not a bad option, but it is costly. Check your suspension connections. Is the track bar tight? Is the Jeep lifted? If it is, maybe the lift has thrown the suspension geometry off a little. Your best bet is to start at the rear axle and go through it one piece at a time until you find the problem. Kind of a process of elimination. Be careful, and don't let the dealer sell you something that you may not need, I used to work for a car dealer, and they were always looking for a way to make a quick buck.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts