Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a rebuilt 258 for my 83 CJ7? I am looking for a rebuilt shortblock, I have all the accesories
and stuff. Located in Ann Arbor Mi.
Dan

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Look in your local phone book. There will be places that do engine exchanges. I got a 258 longblock for about $1000, with a $200 core additional, refunded when you bring back the core. Some of the places you find will be local shops, others will be outlets that deal with national rebuild houses. My engine came from a company called RECON in Pennsylvania. Comes with all the paperwork, 1 year unlimited mileage warranty included, 3 year for I think it was $200 more (which I didn't opt for), and all the info on bore and how much the crank and rod journals were ground undersize on the rebuild. You should be able to locate one near you - mine was in the next town over - drove over in my pick-up truck, and had 'em drop the block right in the back! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
328 Posts
Do you have an engine that needs rebuilding now? I had mine rebuilt by a guy who works in a machine shop in Adrian. He does the work at the shop and then assembles it in his shop at home. He did the whole thing for me for about $800.00 a little over a year ago. That included bored .030, ground the crank, new main, cam, and rod bearings, new cam and lifters, timing gears and chain, pistons, rings, oil pump, gaskets and reassembled the short block. I can email you his name and number if you're interested.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loosenut, could you send the info to me as well. I live in Saline and my 258 is begging for a rebuild.
Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a note!
I would really do some research when buying a remanufactured or whatever u would like to call them motors from your local part store, just an example my friend found a wrangler for a few grand that needed a motor and bought he bought a "REBUILT" motor from one of the local chains, to make along story short the head on the motor was warped so he had to have some one machine it, when he took the head off he noticed that all the pistons were not new and one of the cylinder walls was honed just one! so PLease take the time in your research, if u do dedcide not to rebuild yours and u buy one, take further investigation what the "REBUILD" actually covers. and my friend... well he made very little on the jeep and it was not even woth doing but it least he just got all his money back.
later
84cj7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking into either dropping in a new engine, or having it rebuilt last summer. I was comparing costs and found a place in town that had an AMC 258 long block for about $650, so I thought "score!" That is until I talked to the shop who was going to install it and he told me that if I decided to buy the engine I'd have to take it to someone else, becuase he wouldn't put a POS engine in. Told me that if I wanted a $650 boat anchor he had a big ol' piece of steel out back for just that price. Just be careful

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.