Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly do these work? I want a system that will force 25% of the vehichles weight to each tire, but not effect spring rates unless I turned a dial or valve (or something) to increase ride height (in the advent of a high-center). The suspension would be a pre-runner coil-over shock setup on all four corners (like Dirtrods).

G

·
Not exactly an answer to your question but might give you some ideas. These people have addressed the equal distribution of weight in a radical new suspension system. Other benefits include keeping the vehicle as level as possible while increasing articulation. Rumor has it that Jeep licensed the technology and we'll see it in the 2004 Grand Cherokee.

http://www.kinetic.au.com/

A.B.

I think, therefore I am ... a Jeeper

G

·
I looked into it Sycho, I had some plans to use a 2 way hyd cyl. as the top shock mount, then I could raise or lower the wheel by moving a lever. I ran out of time to get it worked out, and since then, after driving it, I don't want to mess it up, I really like driving a light rig, and I'm not adding anything, I don't Need.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get your suspension, could you tell me more about it. The adjustable ride height deal would just be added incentive, while the weight distribution is what I'm really after. The whole thing is, how does the entire suspension compress, where does the fluid go that allows that? Say I jumped 5ft into the air and bottomed out the suspension on landing, what would allow each tire to carry the same amount of weight in this situation?

Being nimble in the rocks would be more of a side-effect to it, I'm looking at making a truck that could be a nice pre-runner! (and no its not a SWB Jeep platform)

G

·
I bought mine directly from doetsch. I'm not sure what info you're looking for, My set-up is just (4) 36" coil-over shocks working independently, when a shock compresses the oil just flows from the top of the shock, to the bottom, then back again on rebound. (like any other shock).
You have to land on all 4 tires to spread out the weight on a landing, so front to rear, and right to left balance is important. Along with some good bumpstops.
I haven't seen a truly hydraulic suspension, I've seen the High pressure gas over oil shocks like the monster trucks and some desert trucks use, but I was told they arn't working good for crawling.
To be able to adjust the weight bias you would have to be able to move the drivetrain or wheelbase around...To have a weight compensating system would take a computer and a boatload of sensors/valves/lines and such.
Coil-overs are what you want for a pre-runner, they are sweet, I'm finding that the harder I hit the rough stuff, the better it rides, and the easier the suspension eats-up the bumps. (like a big a** Quadrunner) : )

G

·
Dirtrod, are you running the coilovers AS your suspension? If so, how much are those boogers? I hate to change the way mine works right now, but I would like to be able to air it out a little !!! Do you have the severe lean / in corners with it set up like that?

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

G

·
Yes, just the coil-overs 15" travel, they were about $1350 delivered. Not much lean while driving normally, but if you stop on pavement and make a sharp turn, it winds up pretty bad, it's crazy looking, but off road I can drive as fast as I want over almost anything, it rides like a caddy. I had to do alot of frame work to fit the rears in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts