Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just picked up a 74 CJ5. My question is: The Jeep has factory looking hood stripes reading "Hustler R/T". The Jeep is original in paint and body, and the stripes are faded similar to the rest of the Jeep. The Jeep is a factory 304 2 barrel with a 3 speed and posi rear. VIN search doesn't reveal anything spectacular other the the above items and the fact that it was a Toledo factory Jeep. Everything else other than the stripes and add-ons looks like every other pre-76 CJ5 I've seen. Has anyone heard of this? Was it a trim package or dealer installed item, or just some factory looking stripes that have been installed for a long time? I'll try and get pics and post tomorrow.

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hood stripes look similar to the "Renegade" decals of that era, but in the same type cursive script as "Renegade" was written, it has "Hustler R/T". It also has the matching black hood stripe down the center like the Renegades had.

*edit* Actually Jeepgod, I'm a little disappointed, 'cause if I remember right your the guy who's usually in the know about these things.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe Larry Flynt was the previous owner and had the decals custom-made..........?

· Registered
11,452 Posts
My feeble memory thinks that there was a Hustler R/T package on mid or late 70s Mopars. Maybe a version of a Barracuda with a 340. Might have been the larger cars too, like a high-performance version of a Dodge Coronet. I just can't pull it all together.

Somebody might have gotten the decal kit for one of those and stuck it on a Jeep. But I think that the lettering for that was a plain block style. I don't remember a cursive version. I've killed off too many brain cells since then.

· Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like usually, I didn't get the pics last night, and don't have access to a digital camera again until next week (unless I can talk jdogg into snapping a couple
). When I get them, I'll post them ASAP. Thanx for the help so far.

· Registered
1,976 Posts
Me Thinks you have the rear quarter panel stickers from a 74/75 Plymouth Hustler on the hood of that ther Jeep!!!!!!!!!!

If not that is the best imitation I have seen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts