Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to gather parts for my Dana 44 Swap into my YJ. The is a post that mentions the hub fuses from Warn. I am wondering if anyone thinks that these are worth the money. I would much rather replace a cheap hub fuse rather than an axle or a hub, heck it is probably even easier to replace than a u-joint and I would think about the same cost. Just wanted to get some opinions on them, anyone running then? Let me know.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you running anykind of locker, it says that if you run a detroit you can damage it. I really don't see how if it will damage a detroit that it woln't damage a lockright in the same manner. If thats true then the only way you can use them is if you use a gearless, posi, or open diff. if you weld it or spool ityou'll go through the fuses alot. My .02....

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I plan on installing the fuses in the CJ. I like the idea. Cheap is good! Inexpensive is good. However, as cheap as I am, those are not the only reasons. More than the money I value the experience and education that I get on the trail. Lots of times an inexperineced Jeeper will Brute Force over an obstacle or through a mud hole depending on Horse Power to get the rig to the other side. I guess that is not a bad way to go if you can afford grabbing air and slamming the Jeep down and damaging undercarrages and running gear. I prefer another apporach and that is one of driver finesse. If you understand your rig and learn to drive it properly it is fun.... a lot more fun than being stranded on the side of the trail 20 miles up the side of a mountain in a valley that you can not possibly even hope to get out. You are in for a long walk, great disappointment and a huge tow bill. That's if you are lucky. So the fuses act as a protection when inexperience, stupidity takes over the brain. The down side of the fuse is figuring out just how many sets do you want to carry? A spare set of hubs is not a bad idea to carry. I will do almost anything to keep from walking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Petersons 4wof did a write up on these a couple of monthd ago. Sounded like a good then, I will probably get em when I swing a live axle under the front of the postal.

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think they are a great idea. The biggest difference between breaking a Ujoint and one of the fuses is that a Ujoint will often take out one, or both, sides of the axle shaft yokes. That becomes a bigger $$$ fix, plus leaves you with less options on the trail.

Not to mention the ease of fixing the fuse v. the ujoint even if you didn't ruin the shafts. I'm going to run them when I finish my front axle.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts