Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buds got a 79 cj and we put the warn prem. hubs in it well they are slowly disapearin and they have been tourqued down and everything iwas just wondering where to get new ones and how to keep them in place
PJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Switch from bolts to studs (warn has a kit to do this, or scrounge around your local hardware/auto parts store)
2. Use loctite
3. Use a torque wrench
4. Go in a wheel tightening pattern (start with one, go across the hub to the opposite side, jump back across to the opposite side again, etc. instead of tightening in a circular pattern)
5. Check the tightness once a month or after every 4wd adventure.

Trying to come up with a witty line to end all of my posts...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I was having the same problem. FarmJeep is right, use studs if you can. The
problem is the bolts get allot of stress (welded carrier doesnt help any) and end up stretching. I bought new bolts
from the hardware store and have had no problem yet; if they stretch again I will be
going to studs.

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I was tightening the bolts a few times on every trip. I went to studs and never had another problem, and this was with the cheesy 5-bolts. Save yourself some money, go to your local auto store and buy the studs yourself. Use loctite and the torque wrench as recommended, no more problems.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.