Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Carter BBD just woke up.....I completed the HEI mod this morning and took it out for a spin...DAMN....
I thought I had my ignition system in good shape....I was wrong.

Gone are the dead spots in the accel curve...the hesitation...and poor power at higher RPM's. I still have some work to do getting the advance right. I have the adjustable vacuum advance and I its giving too much advance right now....it pings at slight accel...but put ur foot in it and no pinging. I'm curious to see how good the performance will be once I get the mechanical advance right. Any input on the right springs will be great.

Anyway....the HEI has made a believer out of me.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I want to put HEI in my '83 258 CJ-7. Please tell me what motor the distributor should come out of (did Jeeps have these in certain years?) and what mods and wiring needs to be changed. I have the Motojunk distributor now and I just don't trust that ignition module (I've replaced toooooo many of them as a mechanic!). I plan on dumping the stepper motor BBD for an early non stepper BBD and getting rid of the computer altogether. Emissions are no longer an issue in Minnesota /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif since Jesse convinced the smog nazi's that it wasn't doing a damn bit of good.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

·
Registered
189 Posts
75-84 Chevy 250 inline six. I got one from an 80 pickup and one from a camaro.
All you need is one 12volt wire going to the dist. Make sure you are getting 12 volts and not less.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've seen talk about the drive gear needing to be replaced to install HEI. Is this just for the V8's or does the gear need to be changed for the dist to fit the 258 as well? Will the gear off my stock dist fit, or is there a special one for this mod? Thanks..

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The retro-fit everybody is taking about is for the 258/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. To fit in a 304 you need an aftermarket version.

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm confused/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif, does the stock Chevy distributor gear fit my 258, or do I have to replace the gear? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I really want to have all the parts I need before I start replacing mt Motocrap dist. with an HEI unit. Thanks!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
The dist does fit /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif BUT you will have to replace the gear/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
To avoid any confusion go to fourwheel drive hardware tell them what you are doing & they'll get you the right one. They are familier w/ the swap and are very nice & "in the know"/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will the HEI upgrade work on the YJ engine? Is this only for Carb engines? Is the HEI linked to the injection system, or is it just a new distributor? (forgive my ignorance!) /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

I don't know if the 258 CJ engine is the same as a 94 YJ 258...

Sounds like a fun project, though! What about Jacobs, etc?

Jon-YJ94
a work in progress
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The HEI mod is only for 258 engines with a Carb...Fuel Injected engines don't need it...the dist that comes with them is on par with the HEI.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts