Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For that matter, how do I get the soundbar off? This is a stock thing that goes across the roof near the liftgate. I got the grills off, but the speakers look riveted on. WTF? Can I actually just pull the whole thing out? It looks as though I'd have to flex it enough to break it if I tried to remove it that way.

It has two majorly blown speakers, and I have some Eclipse 6.5" coax's I'd like to put up there.

MikeH
96 XJ Country

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you remove the trim from above the windows - or possibly just loosen it some you will be able to flex/rotate the sound bar to get it out. The speakers that are in there I think are 5.25 so you might have to do some fabbing to get 6.5's to work. Also there is not much room behind them for the magnet. I was told it wasn't worth the price for "good" speakers because the enclosure sucks to begin with.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just took my factory speakers out and replaced them with 5.25 sony 3ways, they sound alright, You need one of those star patter drivers to take them out. You probably can fit the 6.5's in there with a little cutting.
Good luck with that

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unless it's blown or cracked.. don't bother. They are fine enough for most needs.

Save the time and effort and put even better ones than you planned to have put in the front.

If you have the system set up properly, the rears are really only for general fill.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree - the rears are just fill. I got a really good deal on the eclipse on ebay, of all places, so I thought those would make decent rears. My fronts are Eclipse separates. Can you tell I like Eclipse? Yeah me too.

Anyway, I did the deed and the soundbar came off more or less as advertised. The light is held onto the roof (yes, the roof) by two posts with capture washers on them (no better description...) Those I worked off with a pair of pliers. The pins are part of a bracket that is held to the roof skin by structural adhesive (i.e. foam glue) which had disintegrated with heat and time, so I replaced it with some JB-stick epoxy and propped the bracket up against the ceiling with my golf umbrella

The speakers were held in by plastic rivets with the heads cut off, so I popped those out. The new speakers (6.5" mind you) went in fine... I just had to drill pilot holes for the screws and back them with metal clips so as to not pull through. Clearance of the magnet not an issue.

Opinion --> I think the coax speakers bring out the highs better than the stock dual-cones, and they are a little louder too. Bass doesn't cause them to distort until a much higher level than the stockers as well. So was it worth the $40 and half hour? Seeing as how I spend about 11 hours a week in the thing, you betcha.

MikeH

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.