Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions on how to invert the driveshaft driveline ~180°? A transfer case/mechanism would work if it didn't have an additional driveshaft output (i.e., an exclusively 2WD transfer case). The trans I'm using has an integrated differential and half-shaft outputs located between the engine and trans. Since the car is mid-engine, the driveshaft has to be inverted to the front differential rather than rear. Are there exclusively 2WD transfer cases/mechanisms or similar method/s to accomplish this?
Line Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram

· Registered
6 Posts
Unless I am misremembering I cannot seem to find one specifically. They do or can make them custom to specifically eliminate the rear flange. Or just leave a rear-facing flange there and do not use it. The result should be the same if you just let a rear mount free spin. Here is a link to their transfer cases. If you send them an email they should be able to answer all their questions. 4x4 Transfer Cases for Performance Cars & Trucks | SCS Gearbox Inc They aren't cheap but they should be able to make something.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless I am misremembering I cannot seem to find one specifically.
A type of manually engaged part-time transfer case (that can have the front driveshaft [FWD] remain active when AWD/4WD is disengaged) is called a "front dig" transfer case.
The front dig transfer case can work with this application. However, since I won't be needing a rear driveshaft at all (since the rear differential is integrated in the transmission I'm using [see above]), I'd still like to find a transfer case-like component purposely designed to invert the driveshaft (which will therefore be lighter and less complex).
Alternatively, I could fabricate a component to do this with a composite case and geared or chain/pulley connections to invert the driveline (see image).
Line Art Rectangle Font Handwriting

For the fellow fabricators, is this custom approach worth it (weight savings, difficulty, etc.) compared to taking a manually engaged FWD transfer case and removing the rear driveshaft components?

· Registered
6 Posts
Ah, like an old-school chain drive. That could be cheap, and easy if you know what you are doing. Without the specific trans and transfer case, I can't really come up with anything. I recently found out on my 4x4 that there is an actuator on the transfer case AND the front diff. If either doesn't work then you are screwed. For my smart, I will end up leaving the transfer case in 4wd I will change the wiring to not link the two together. Have the front diff off when the transfer case is in 4wd mode; when I need it, I can just turn it on like normal. Hope that thought process helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts