Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished installing a 3.5 inch superlift "superride" on my 87 yj. I elected this brand lift becouse of price and previous posts in this site stating that it rides better than stock. I ordered the full system including pitman arm, extended brake lines, superlift shocks, t case drop, f/r track bar &sway bar extensionsn new bushings all around etc. etc etc.

What a disapointment!!!! It drives like hell. Articulation is poor.
Bare in mind that i did not overtighten shakles and mounts. What is the problem?, how can I improve the ride?

On the other side, my jeep looks great with total 6 inches of lift (3.5" susp. + 2" body + .5" shakles) and 33's MT's.
Can't stop driving it but this ride is going to kill my kydneys

What can I do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only thing I have to say is that it WILL get better... once my 4" HD cj springs had 2-3 months on them they started to ride better on the street, and handling has either started to improve, or I'd just gotten used to it (it probably improved, being that I daily drive my '97 F-150) All I can offer is to air down 5psi for awhile, wait for the springs to break in alittle, and just wait it out.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
i put rs9000's on all four corners and couldn't believe how much smoother the ride got.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lose the track bars and the sway bar. Then you'll be a lot happier with the articulation.

If that doesn't help, swap your stock bottom leaf with the aftermarket one. Helped mine alot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure you go the "Superride" springs? I can't understand your problem based on my experience. I have the 3.5" superride springs on my YJ and I think they ride great. In fact, I was surprised how well they rode on-road when first installed compared to the 2.5" Ranchos which were rather bouncy when first installed. My Superlift springs also flex very well. Of course, I've done what cheep said above - I've removed both track bars and I have sway bar disconnects. I also know a guy who works for Offroad Unlimited that had a YJ with the same springs and he was pleased with them too. If you want to email me ([email protected]), we can compare part numbers off the springs to see if you really got Superride springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only advice I can offer is to take it out and "cross it up" as much as you can a few times. It will help. The springs do need to break in.
That being said, I was so irritated with the rough ride of my Black Diamond 3.5" kit that I took it off and basically gave it away.
I ended up with an SOA and an add-a-leaf in the stock springs and am MUCH happier with the ride. And it articulates, too!

Jason '87 YJ (7"SOA with 35's)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine got better after the springs had time to break in. I also added a shackle reversal on the front. It helped a lot. And increases articulation. It also gave me 1 more inch of lift on the front. I took off my sway bars and the front trac bar. This helped my springs break in quicker. Also increases articulation greatly!!!

Don't worry--the ride will get better-- or maybe you'll just get used to it and think that it's getting better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a great excuse to go wheeling! the springs just need to break in and this will probably take a few months of onroad driving or one good four wheeling trip. The articulation and ride will improve noticable but you could still get rid of the track bars and get some swaybar disconects

Jeff
83LWb, 3"lift, 31's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with the other guys, lose the track bar and sway bar, this will only improve the flex. Next, take your ride to a place that you can REALLY put a twist into the suspension, loosen it up by going into it forwards and backwards into all four corners. Make it flex enough to lift the wheel on the opposite wide and do this several times, you will be amazied how this will help the ride of your rig. Everytime you hit the trail your rid will get better, just bare with it and give it some time. I don't know it your Super ride springs are clamped together like my Pro-Comp springs are but I improved mine by opening the spring clamps just a little bit with a air chissle, within a couple of days mine was flexin like crazy and rode 100% better than before.
Just something to think about.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I keep hearing that I should eliminate front & rear track bars. is this safe to do? will it affect my street driving? I sure want to keep my front sway bar maybe with some homemade quick disconnects..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding your question about safety, most people who disconnect their track bars (like me) don't notice a difference UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. But, most people don't test this out under extreme conditions (like swerving to avoid an accident while traveling at highway speeds). Under normal conditions, I feel it is safe. But I honestly don't know the answer to your safety question in the context of extreme conditions.

As for your question about this affecting your street driving, I have found no noticeable difference with the track bars disconnected but I do notice more lean in turns with the sway bar disconnected. Therefore, I keep my sway bar connected on-road. Some people claim that their steering is more "vague" and that their steering wheel doesn't return to center as well with the track bars disconnected. And this is explainable by the steering linkages pushing the axles from side to side instead of turning the wheels since the track bar isn't there to hold the axle in place. My for me, my steering in my Jeep have always been kind of "vague" so I don't notice it.

Since it's easy to remove and replace the track bars, I suggest the following. Take one track bar off first and go for a test drive. Then take the second one off leaving the first one off also and test drive it. Then disconnect the sway bar leaving both track bars disconnected and test drive it. You may need to test drive each configuration for 2 or 3 days each. This will give you feel for the affects of removing the various parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very few people I have talked to notice any difference on road by removing the trackbars, and I've never heard anybody complain about removing the rear only. if you are worried about the safety buy a telescoping front bar with a colar to lock it in will on road, on my dads YJ with rather soft Tuff Country springs there is a slight difference in steering feel with the track bar in the locked and onlocked configurations

Jeff
83LWb, 3"lift, 31's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.