Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been having some confusion over the lifting issue; I am 18 years old and I saved for YEARS to buy my 99 Sahara outright, and I LOVE it. It is the best 20 grand I've ever spent (and being 18, it's the ONLY 20 grand I've spent...) Anyway, I've been dabbling in the trails and I (of course) have been bitten by the off-road bug. Now, my question is this:
I want to lift the Jeep both for looks and off-road performance. I don't want to change the ride much, but I do want to clear 31s or 32s under me on the stock Canyon rims. I'm leaning towards a body lift because I have heard that combined with disconnects I can get the clearance and articulation and keep the ride. What size should I do and what brand? I'd like to keep the cost factor low while having something that won't crap out on me. Also, what is the difference between all of the different lifts available? I know of spring spacers, body lifts and suspension lifts. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
personally i would not use more than a 1in body lift on any trail vehicle. go with a black diamond or old man emu suspension lift. these two lifts are very suttle and do little to change the ride. some people i have talked to said they liked the ride better because it is a little firmer giving it a sports car feel. for 31s you could just run coil spacers(trailmaster has a kit to do that) and keep your stock springs. most 31s will fit with a little "friendly contact" when wheelin. you will have to stay narrow on your tires with the stock rims (watch the clearance to the coil tower up front).

dan

I do not intend to offend,I offend with my intent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A body lift puts more space between body and frame. This has no effect on suspension and keeps you center of gravity lower because the transfer case, tranny, and engine are attached to the frame. Sway bar disconnects will give you more articulation and are relatively easy. I run a 3" body lift. The only real danger is in an accident, the body mounts will be destroyed and the Jeep is junk. Whatever lift you choose, the price increases with completeness. I got mine from performace offroad and it had everything except one vaccuum line. Welcome to the Jeep world, I got mine just over a year ago and LOVE it. Depending on what engine and tranny you have, you may need to have the shift linkage lengthened. This will be in the directions if necessay. Good luck, my email is [email protected] if you need any help.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.