Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my setup
rebuilt 258, K&N, RV cam, 2" Single exhaust, BA 10/5, NP 231, 3.07's.
I have 30 X 9.5 tires now. I dont use 5th gear too often but its there. How big of a drop in acceleration and power will I see by going to a 32 X 11.5 all terrain?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think that the power loss will be major.Unless your 258 is much better than mine,the 3.07's and 32's will make 5th worthless and 4th almost like a stock 5th or worse.I would either change gears to 3.73's or 4.10's or stay with the same tires.I went with 4.10's and 35's and should have went with 33's for a little more low range on the trail.If you don't plan on a lot of serious off-roading the 3.73's would be a good compromise for more road time and less trail.This is based on my experience with my 87 yj 258 5 sp,now with 4.10's,35's, soa and ez-locker. rh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I really loose that much power by going only 2" bigger? How bad will my 1st gear be?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First gear is pretty "grany" and you shouldnt notice that much of a difference until about 4th gear, I have 33's on my Jeep and its not too bad, i have the stock axle gears in too. On the highway its a little slower on the acceleration, but that may just be because my engine is completely rebuilt. To me its not that big of a diff.

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You also have to figure in the extra weight of the tires along with the size of tires.You also know that most tires vary in size from the size stated(ex.30-9.50 may only be 281/2 or they may be right at 30)I just can tell you that my jeep with very much larger tires than stock when I had the 3.07's would have not been very practical for me.I don't think the clutch would have lasted long with this high of gearing. rh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running 32x11.5's on my 84...with the T5 tranny...I did have 3.31 gears and it was tough starting off and even worse on the trail. I have since gone to 4.10 gears and its just about perfect. You will need 5th for speeds over 55 but it puts the engine in the right RPM range. If you have 3.07 gears, then I would expect it to be hard on the engine and clutch....and your acceleration will suck.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.