Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The frame on my 77 K-10 has previously been broken/cracked and welded. I bought ORDs steering box brace thinking that it would be a good thing, but I was unable to install it because of the crappy welding job that was done previously/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif. A friend came over to look at it and said that in order to fix it right, the following would need to be done:
1. remove the steering box
2. grind off all the old welds
3. fab a plate or some other sort of reinforcement
4. weld it all up again
5. reinstall the steering box
6. install the brace
He also noticed that I need new tranny mounts (which I understand is not that big of a deal) and my tranny dipstick tube isn't in there right either.

I gotta get this stuff done on my truck, and, as usual, have to pay someone to do it/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. Question is, how much time do you guys think it would take and what would be a reasonable price (as a side-job)? I want to have some sort of an idea of what to expect. Or, does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks!

Cheryle

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive!!!
buh bye!

G

·
I would imagine an honest price would be in the $200 range, but that could be way off just my imagine. Plus never forget the unseen problems :)
--DAvey

[email protected]
95 Chevy 2500 ext. cab and a Big 75 Ford

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some pics, but nothing too recent. This is one before the new lift and tires.

Cheryle

buh bye!

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and here's a more recent one -- T&A included/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

sorry/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif couldn't resist/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Cheryle

buh bye!

Attachments

G

·
Look like it has had a better life than mine! A few too many rocks in TN. Plus my window got taken out last week by a mean old tree that jumped out in front of me. Hate it when they do that. You should get a grinder from Sears or northern. 4" disc grinder $29-$69 bucks plus $10 for the wheels Then grind the old weld smooth see what it looks like from there. I bought a lincoln welder from home depot it [email protected] amps. Good for all around vehicle jobs. Walmart sells a wire feed for $99 but it is really not enough to weld plate. Just something to consider if you like to mess with that stuff. The welder came in handy to fabricate stuff on my axle swap. It cuts metal and drill holes. Of course it is ugly but thats were the grinder comes in. The welder has a great book and hood with it too. Good luck.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man! I hate those jumping trees/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

You have no idea how much I wish I could do this stuff on my own. But I really wouldn't know where to start or what the hell I'm doing. I'd probably end up setting the whole truck on fire or grinding off something important (like a finger)/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif. I'm actually trying to talk a girlfriend of mine into taking a welding class with me in the fall. Some day...

Cheryle

buh bye!

G

·
Option #2: Road trip to franks howse and pick up this frame just put all your stuff on it. It is missing its new front window for some reason though. Hmmm dont know where It could have gone too.

Attachments

G

·
Too bad you live on the wrong coast (J/K!), if you lived in Western Mass. I could help ya out. But from your profile, it seems as though there should be someone in your area to help you out. By the way your friend is correct, that is the best way to fix it. Go over to www.coloradok5.com in the 73-91 blazer forum. There are alot of good guys and girls over there and the blazer front frame is the same as the c/k front frames. There are alot of members over there and several in CA (I know it's a big state, my sister lives out there), but maybe you might get lucky and someone will live nearby with the proper equipment and know-how to fix your truck up right (cheap too).
I would also fix the dipstick ASAP, if that thing lets the fluid out while your traveling down the road, you could have a really big bill waiting for you.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Chevylover... I'll check it out!

Cheryle

buh bye!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.