Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much can I expect to pay to have my front driveshaft lengthened and my rear one shortened and any balancing or parts necessary for installation? I will install myself but am curious about the actual driveshaft work. I am still trying to decide which is cheaper tranny or gears.

Thanks,

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.73 gears(too high), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Durabak

G

·
the tranny is cheaper if you can find a used one for a good price with all the parts, I paid $600 for my t-98 to put into my flatfender and it came with everything I needed and a bunch of stuff I didn't. the gears are cheaper if you are looking at buying a new tranny. remember to contemplate the end result as well, slightly deeper gears will not be as desirable as a much deeper tranny and vice versa.

G

·
I put a SM420 in my high hood , the 4th gear is still 1:1 , with the 3.73 gears I can do 65mph on the freeway , and crawl in the rocks , the drivelines were $225 to get them shortened/lengthened/balanced/ with new u-joints , hit the Rubicon ,nicked the rear shaft , twisted the rear in half , went back and had heavier tubing, new u-joint and balance... another $135, I cant complain , I got the tranny and adapter for $225 , all in all the smartest thing I've done.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.