Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lent my CJ to a friend for a few weeks while I was out of town. He put about 2,000 miles on it and when I got it back I checked the oil. It was two quarts low. I don't know how many miles he drove it like that, but assuming the worst how much shorter is my 360's life span?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
that sucks... 360's are pretty stout engines and stand up to alot of abuse. However if you haven't alredy done so, I would change to oil and filter to get some fresh juice in there and to get the shavings, etc. out that might be in there . Have you ever considered using a synthetic motor oil? Of course that depends if you have any leaks (because of the cost of having to add expensive oil everytime your low). You probably have some leaks or are burning oil if it was two quarts low though. I use Amsoil in mine and its my belief and experience that it adds life to the motor, I've seen it in my motors and old customers motors when I was a mechanic.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6.45 days shorter? Did you check the oil before you gave it to him? It burned 2 quarts in just a week? I think the lifespan of your 360 is getting shorter by the day.

78 CJ7 "Issues"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I had the oil changed at one of those quickie places the day before because I was in a hurry. I think maybe those idiots didn't fill it all the way. I was a bigger idiot for not checking. The motor was rebuilt about two years ago and doesn't burn or leak so that is the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I'd not worry a bit... it's still running, it ain't knocking. So if it ain't broke... don't fix it... improve it.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Ditto on what LEVE said.

Don't worry about it, it's fine, you'd know it if you starved it of oil.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like your engine's "life span" is going to be okay.

I would avoid those "quickie" place at all costs. I have heard "horror" stories about stripped drain plugs, blocked filters, and ruined engines from plugs "falling" out on the highway.

Basically, nobody will care about your "stuff" as much as you will.

Just make sure you check the oil level often (better safe than sorry) and just where has your friend been drivng? /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif That is roughly 143 miles each day if he had it for two weeks, wow!

Spine like an anchor chain. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

·
Registered
360 Posts
As for the synthetic oils. I would never take and engine that has allot of miles from dinosour lubricants to the space age of synthetics.
Tried that once before. Although your replacing with a comparable viscosity, the molecular size of the synthetics is much finer than the dead dino's.
Guarantee you'll have leaks where there were none before.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just 2 quarts ? ...should be no problem at all, as long as the pick-up tube is in oil it won't matter, unless he was running 4-5000 rpm for a long time, then alot of oil would be in suspension and not in the pan.
My wife and kids run lower than that on a regular basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts