Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing a fuse block in my 63 jeep. Right now i have three 10 - 12 gauge wires coming from the battery and into the fuse block as constant power. On Two of the wires i have them splitting off in a "Y". How much power can the wire handle before it melts.? I am thinking about useing a battery power cable to run to the fuse block, thus keeping only one wire, instead of three crossing the engine compartment, and splitting it into three or four hot wires to the fuse block. If there is any ideas to keep the wiring simple and uncluttered i can really use the help.
thanks
dna stewart

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My "Painfull" [sic] 12 circuit kit had one 10 ga Batt lead into the fuse block.
I ran a second, 12 ga red wire in along with it for my two extra "Circuit Boss" additions. Sould be enough.

JAF

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
If the wires going to the battery are #10AWG then they can safely carry 90 Amps (30 amps ea.). If they are #12, then 60 amps. (20 ea.)

G

·
Well you really cant say that.Since the load rating is directly related to the length of the wire also. There is a formula for it but i forget. I like safty. I figure they are probably only 3 feet long or so.I like to run 10ga. for 20amps but i'm king of overkill and you never know what i'l patch into it lateron without thinking about it.

Al
My web page

G

·
most fuseblocks can be rewired in the back to run a single power wire, I did this with one from a toyota pickup to be used on my willys, if you are a heavy amp guy (many lights and stuff) think 6 or 8 gauge and a single wire. there is no such thing as too heavy a wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.