Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how hard it is to swap a complete 4.0 into a CJ? I have my Scrambler down to just the rolling chassis with drivetrain. I know that the existing engine has at least 120k miles and that there is coolant in one of the cylinders. I am thinking about pulling the head to check the gasket for leaks. But before I do, I was wondering how much it would cost to get a complete 4.0 with harness and swap that in. I will be using a TF727 tranny and the D300. I assume all I would need is a complete engine and an electric fuel pump. My Scrambler already needs a new carb, exhaust system, and head repair.

This is one of those times where I feel like I am about to spend a lot of money to have a running 4.2 with 120k miles when I could have spent the same money and gotten a 4.0 HO with fuel injection and 120k miles.

What do you think?

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

·
Registered
458 Posts
I spent $700 for mine. And I've seen them for as little as $500. Just make sure that you get the wiring harness, flexplate and starter. That will save you some money.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I put mine in about 3 years ago. I bought a 4.0l block for $100. core. Spent $560. on the master kit, had $120. refunded for the cam and lifters. Bought the Mopar stage 2 cam and lifters for $90. another $60 for the springs. Pieced togeather the harness and PCM for another $50. About another $400 for balancing and machine work, head, bore, crank, boiling etc. Intake, injectors, throttle plates, alternator, exhaust manifold were snagged from another core engine. I have aboout $35. in the modifications to the bellhousing for the clutch and crank angle sensor, and another $50. in a used 4.0 flywheel. This engine runs sweet! I now have 35k on it.

I have about $1800. in a 4.6l stroker with Mopar harmonic balancer, and wired up '98 ODB2. This includes the electronic dash from a '98 Grand Cherokee which will use the check engine light, oil pressure, tach, speedo, and even cruise. I don't what to do with this engine, as I picked up a 5.9 Magnum. So far I will have about $1200. in the 5.9 and still need an oil pan, and harness to wire it. Thinking about going with '98 ODB2 injection system, as I have a good pcm. The flywheel cost $175. used and I picked up a bellhousing for another $100.

An I have another engine I don't know what to do with. This one is a 5.2 Magnum that came from a '98 Grand that was wrecked. 14,000 miles on it. The 'broken ear' block. The upper mount for the motor mount in the Grand's break off in a wreck, and can't be used, but they will fit in a Jeep or Ram because they use a different lower motor mount. Got about the price of a $300 guitar in it. Another $175 tor the flywheel.

I guess that is my experiance with the price of engines.

G

·
I bought a wrecked 2000 TJ 5spd for $4400. I think it was a good deal, as I'll have a 4.0 with 8k miles, all new accessories and AC. The rest will be sold on ebay. By the time everything is sold I figure I'll have about $2000-$2500 int the motor and AC. I still have lots work to do, but I think I can get away without spending too much more money.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Geez that really got me thinking!
Right now I have the 258 with a 999 tranny & I was seriously probably going to Fuel Injection, this seems like it is a really feasible option.

I saw that this engine was mated to a 999 tranny - will this make my swap easier?

Does anyone know? All the info. I got from the websites were geared toward manual tranny swaps. One site mentioned an adapter - will I not need this because of the 999?

Thanks for the info. if anyone knows.

-Mel

PS the funny part is that the CJ8 swap mentioned that they got the engine shipped from Wagners truck parts in PA - that is 5 miles from my house! Kinda funny coincidence.

http://www.in2jeeps.com

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Just dropped mine in last weekend...the wiring job will be done once I have a body on it. I used a '95 4.0 complete with wiring harness, PCM, battery tray and dash from a Wrangler that a kid rolled while doing donuts in a parking lot with 920 miles on it. I traded the AX-15 for a set of hard doors and bought a '94 32RH (newer T-999). Using your T727, you'll need to get a crank sensor from Hesco to take the place of the factory flywheel sensor. Motor mounts are your existing 258 brackets with one metric bolt on the driver side. You'll also need a speedo sender/VSS from Hesco...this supplies the mechanical hook-up for your speedo and the electronic signal that the PCM needs. Check out http://jeepskate.4x4.org/Tech.htm for a magazine article on the swap as well.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
OK - I have the AGR box & power steering pump - will I be able to still use this?

I got a quote - $650 for the engine, everything I need from flywheel to fan - including computer, exhaust manifold, startere, exhaust piece, charcoal canister - it is out of a '91 wrangler with about 100K miles on it the man a Wagners said it runs good.

I need that crank sensor with my 999 tranny too? (I don't have a 727) Any idea how much it costs?

Thanks
-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.