Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many stabilizers for 44\" tires? with pic

I just finished building my hummer kit truck on a 1/2 ton suburban frame with a 350 and sm465 tranny and np208 t case.

I just got a great deal on a new set of 44's.......and I am still getting a front end shake at about 35-40 and lessens as I go faster, but is still there. The tires are groundhawgs and are alanced with equal tire powder (8 oz each) as recommeneded. I think the problem is the same as when I had the stock steering stabilizer on the front. I have since replaced it with a procmp dual kit, but was wondering if I need 4 stabilizers in the fron....I measured and I can fit another kit. The shaking is tolerable, but I would like it to be better...thanks
~~TIM~~

--->"Some people go through life thinking they hit a triple: But they were actually born on third base."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Re: how many stabilizers for 44\" tires? with pic

Your stabilizers are just Dampening the problem, not fixing it.
You could put 10 stabilizers on there and still would never fix the actual problem.
Something else is wrong/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif have you checked balljoints, tierods etc....
Also you should definitely have a steering brace on there I think ORD makes a good one. If All your other steering components check out the brace alone may eliminate the "shakes" by it's self, if nothing else it will save your frame
By the way, that is a GREAT looking rig! congratulations/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Scooby Dooby Doo !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

damn man, that thing is awesome!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif you said a hummer kit truck - so the body is a kit body? is it metal or fiberglass? whered you get it? my dream has always been a hummer but that is a cool project and combines best of both worlds without paying out the arse for a real hummer. thanks and once again, super cool truck!!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

I have priced the kits and tried to estimate what it would cost to build a similar (but no where near as big) bummer. If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost to get the project rolling? rolling chevy frame + engine and driveline + bummer kit = ?? all of the other "little things" can add up quick. I just want to know how much did it cost to make it look like a project rather than a pile of old parts.

By the way that is FREAKIN COOL!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here is all the info on the Bummer kit. I thought about this but it is a bit more expensive that I want to deal with. For my project, it would just get busted up anyway but the weight savings would be nice plus it looks really cool.
http://www.bummer-kit.com/

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14FF locked 4.56
Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Right now I got about 12,500 into it. $500 for the tires and rims (yes-the guy was moving and they had 100 miles on them) $8000 for bare body and door shells abd roof shell. I had to cut the glass and cut all the window hardware for the roll down windows and fabricate a replica fiberglass dash. I bout the hood from a military dealer and it had quite a few cracks for $200. There is about $400 worth of durabak inside and out. I rebuilt the 350 engine myself and paid the extra to have it balanced-about $600 there with a new clutch. Seats out of a x-90 $100 each with shipping. The body is steel-yes active power in Ohio makes it and its a great steel body-weighs 1200 pounds, but is much better than glass. I hae a fiberglass body on my jeeo that suits it fine, but I think the glass body would not hold up to much abuse and twisting for such a long vehicle. I still have to paint it again and do alot of "accesories" inside and out, but it is real fun to drive around. Thanks for all the interest and if you have any specific questions, you could e mail me directly at [email protected] I am also very op[en to any suggestions on bulletproofing the front end (steering as well) for the 44's. I only run 35's on my jeep and there is a world of difference. Thanks again

~~TIM~~

--->"Some people go through life thinking they hit a triple: But they were actually born on third base."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's been said a million times but once more won't hurt.Multiple stabilizers will only mask a problem(and look cool).You need to find out why your truck is shaking and fix it.There are 2 things that will cause this. Alignment and balance.Try taking the fronts off and put them on the back and vice versa.If the problem alters set'um for a good hipo rebalance.If it stays the same get your rig on the rack.

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm on the "band wagon" with this one. COOL project! As far as "Shakey" goes, a speed related shake is definately a mechanical failure. Out of balance tire, broken belt, bent rim, bad king pins/ball joints/ tie-rods, etc. You should be able to drive that thing down the road just fine with no stabalizers! My opinion and ONLY that! It's free, use it at will; no express or implied warranty applies.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts

IMHO steering stabilizers are a band aid to cover up front end problems...after I replaced my ball joints and tie rods, I didn't even put a stabilizer on nd haven't run one since, that was 5 months ago, and its fine. I suggest looking at these parts and replacing the messed up ones.

90K5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.