Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how come there is not a lot about strocking the 4.0? on this board as far as i know there is only one? person it seem like it was a good idea? what is the scoop is there any info on this? please fill me in
andy

· Registered
1,025 Posts
I have one of these and another on the way. You basically take a 4.0 H.O. motor and put in a 4.2l crank and rods. Some of the earlier 258 cranks wouldn't work because the piston skirt will hit on the crankshaft counterweights. You want to use the 4.2l's flywheel and be sure to have it balanced. My machinest has been doing it since the '87 Cherokees came out. here is a link with more info.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/bryce/stroker/stroker.asp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do u like it? i have been in a tj with a 4.0 and boy does that thing screw and plenty of poewer on/off road, not only that it came with stock tires and ( i do not no what his gears are) but he has 31s on it now and boy when he hits the gas it will hold u in the seet so than i was thinking hmm if a stock 4.0 does that i woder what i strocked 4.0 to 4.5 will do hmmmmm....., plus i have a chance to get one for a deal so i made it even more possible to making it happen!!
thanks guys for the input
Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more thing i just looked at accurights web site, how much did u sink into the swap? their price 1200 bucks do u have that into your conversion if so is it just as easy to go with the kit?
thanks again
Andy

· Registered
1,025 Posts
I like it alot. But I think that the biggest improvement over the old 258 was the injection. I have always been an inline 6 fan, and my first thought was replace the 258 with a Ford 300, but I don't think that it will fit. There is definitally a big inprovement in torque over the 4.0l.

I have about $900 in the first one, and the one that I have to assemble next week will come to about $1300. parts and machining. Borola's are expensive, and I didn't have the first one balanced. Most people wouldn't even notice, but it bothers me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.