Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading jeepnmatt's post on the liberty thread, and discovered that i am not the only jeeper that discourages people from buying jeeps. People don't understand me when I do this, as I am known to wrench on my jeep by flashlight on my back in the mud, rain and snow. It is quite a conflict, as I love my truck, and would love for my friends to enjoy their vehicles as much. The fact is though, that if they won't do the maintenance themselves, jeep ownership would be a nightmare for them. Not to mention expensive. I'd rather they not own a jeep than own one that gives them nothing but problems that they can't handle.

On the other hand, it is almost a crime against the species to not aid in their proliferation.

What is y'all's take on this subject? Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 pumps and it starts every time in the dead of a Maine winter. Find another BBD that'll do that! Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you Brendan. Jeeps require a lot of modifications in order to become reliable. And to keep it reliable it has to be maintained by a well-informed self educated hobbyist, not a mechanic. I actually only recommend Jeeps those who I know will do serious off-roading and are willing to modify their Jeep.

Out of the lot, a Toyota is more reliable (let it slide). However the Jeep is the ultimate platform to build on. It’s the most flexible and easily modifiable 4x4xfar. There are so many after market products for it that can turn it into one flexy tank. And if that’s not enough a lot of fabricators know the Jeep like the back of their hands and can turn it into whatever your heart desires.

A.B.

I think, therefore I am ... a Jeeper

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to use it as an everyday driver, then I would probably stay away from a Jeep CJ, But Jeeps really are unbeatable on the trail. I feel most reliability problem are because maintanance, or lack of maintanance. When I bought my CJ5 it had a worn out 304, the first thing I did was a tuneup. It never failed to start, and went 4 years before I replaced it with the 401 I currently have. the 401 has been trouble free since I have drop it in, and the jeep has yet to let me down since I have owned it. I just can't imagine driving it everyday.

Ray

·
Registered
439 Posts
My jeep sucks I don't have to tell my friends not to buy jeeps cause they watch me work on it day in and day out and see all the headaches it gives me. everytime I think I'm getting somewhere I find another problem I just wont ever be able to get it on the road.(or offroad) it's always nice to have a choise!

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
So Chad , what exactley are the problems with your Jeep that you are working on day in and day out ?

CJ.... Need I Say More ?? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
829 Posts
IT'S A JEEP THING! I would not tell any one to buy a Jeep, I would tell them to build one!!!! :)

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's Mud's,Pony Carb...

·
Registered
935 Posts
I personally try to convince everyone I know to buy a Jeep, including my sisters(succeeded twice and working on 3 now/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif). I have owned or driven everything from 3cyl. geo's to sooped up big block chevelle's to pickups and nothing ever enticed me as much as the first time I rode in a Jeep. I bought my first 97' Jeep 1 week after my first ride. It's just one of those things people like no matter what the cost or work, like everyone here or you wouldn't be reading this, or they don't and never will. I have already torn up my rearend and replaced, and now have no transmission and haven't driven my Jeep for 2 months. It pisses me off, but I have no intentions of quitting on it. So yes, I recommend Jeeps.My .02.

A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
439 Posts
you can check my post on "all jeep owners are aved welders"
for my most resent one that happened tonight. but I can tell you the stry too.
I bought my second jeep about 8 months ago and brought it home and tried to get it to run it wouldn't goso. I left that alone and decided to work on the body (not much right? couple days?) so here I am still working on the body I welded in a whole new floor (all galvinized) and various outter body panels and patches in. The roll cage has to be coustome fabbed because I ran bars from the back of the body in the fenderwells to the rollcage and because of the floor. Before that there was the no spark problem. This jeep is a 84 so it had a computer and module so I by passed that so now it runs, but guess what? no 1st gear, so I have to gett around to swapping that out and putting in the T18a that is down in my shed but the rear yoke on the dana20 t-case was missing sense I bought it,so it can't go in til I find one of those then there's electrical and the diff problems I posted and the list goes on.don't get me wrong I'm not bitching I love working on it and I love my jeep. I just wish some luck would come my way and I could have a vechical I could put on and off the road.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Brendan

It depends on who it is and what year it is . Some friends I would recommend a Jeep to , some I wouldn`t . I have one friend who has a 92 YJ and there`s no way I would want to see him own a CJ .
He just hasn`t got the patience to deal with that type of Jeep . Some people ( like me) really enjoy the challenge of a CJ or MB or M38 . I like to modify , build , think of ways to make my Jeep better . Some people just want to jump in and go . Bottom line is it depends what year of Jeep you recommend , almost a safe bet for the FI years and up . IMO

CJ.... Need I Say More ?? /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
439 Posts
well ya and the fact of how deep you want to get into it in the long run. I plan the keep jeeps in life as long as I can. Build them fix em and anything else I can manage. But some people don't want all that. and it's hard to figure out if they will really like a jeep or come back bitch you out cause they just don't, like you said newer models , YJ and up are what I think people would like even XJ & ZJ's for people just getting into jeeps. (it's the comfort factor) i personaly can't afford a newer jeep, I can barly afford these two.

Chad

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have stuck more Money, TIME and EFFORT into this P.O.S. than any other vehicle that I have ever owned including a 1950 Harley panhead .I can't explain it to anyone including myself why I do it .There is just no justification for it.So I have admitted that I have a PROBLEM ...How many more steps are there ? cause I really got to get out there and install this siteglass I got in the transmission so I don't have to pull the plug to check the fluid level.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You guys have just convinced a zuk owner never to buy a jeep!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifActually,I have a 4.0 XJ also and its my family camping mobile with some wheelin to boot/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifHavent had to do much with the 4.0.

1 cross plus
3 nails
----------------
4 given /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
If only I wheeled as much as Im on this board/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My toyota was a lot more reliable as to starting and the brakes and all and she would just about walk on water as she made it through mud holes I thought I would be swimmin out of. but my Jeep is much better to work on and much more fun to drive so as well as I liked the toy I wouldn't trade my Jeep for ten of em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It totally depends on the person. I have friends that would't be able to change a sparkplug...I don't want them to have a jeep (I'd end up fixing it for them), but for people that want a off-roader and understand how much work is involved in keeping one going, and that jeeps are like the old harley "Troubleheads" (great toy/poor transportation)...I recommend them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jeep is the type of ride that requires a lot of attention,,,If you let small things go for a bit, they tend to get ugly and bite you in the a$$. So in my mind you better love them, and working on them or have a very deep pocket to pay somebody else. If a person bought one because they figured they were buying a cheap toy, that looks cool with the top down, then they're going to be in for a rude surprise older CJ's are just that,,, old,,, In my mind the expression "Sh%t Happens" was meant to apply to owning a CJ.
Just when you think your close to completeing the last set of mods you wanted, and you can just go out and enjoy the ride,,,,,,the transmission drops a gear or you blow out a wheel bearing. Ya, I'd recomend a Jeep to the right person, but I wouldn't do so to someone that hasn't hasn't quite grasped the concept of patience, and perseverance.

DrummondCJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ALWAYS RECCOMMEND JEEPS TO PEOPLE...THEY ARE THE BEST OFF-ROAD VEHICLE MONEY CAN BUY. Now you have to remember that cjs are old vehicles and like any old vehicle you will get a lot of parts that need to be replaced. Now this a good thing as you can replace them with better ones(bigger engines, stronger tranies, t-cases, etc.). With other vehicles is more difficult to replace this worn-out parts, just try to put a v-8 on a toyota truck, it can be done but is more easier of a cj. So if people as, I will say go ahead and have fun...BUY A CJ WITH ROUND HEADLIGHTS!!!!
Junior

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Funny??? I don't have that much problem with mine. They are very simple to work on, and the aftermarket parts are definately there. I have never owned anything before getting into jeeps that had so many junkyard parts available or were so adaptable. I just took mine down to the frame for the second time,, Why?? Because there was something wrong?? because something was broken?? Nope, because I thought I could make it better.... And I can For alot less than it costs to build other 4x4's less maby a zuki..

97 TJ 31's and mostly stock but seeing what I can do about that..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts