Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 K1500 After I change axle seal and diff cover Id like to install lockright by powertrax locker im my 10 bolt. How hard is it? Is it easy as pulling old dropping in new?what adjustments need to be made?
Any tricks to getting old gasket seal off?
Also other than ARB who makes front locker for my truck.
Thanks in advance
BC

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well first off I would advise you to install the powertrax while youre in there not after fixing it. Especially if youre not short on cash or something because you'll already be 1/2 way to instaling it when replacing the seal. Puting in the locker is simple. Remove 2 "C" clips and 1 bolt, pull the axles out about 3" and the (retaining rod--spider gear rod--whatever the thing is called) all the way out. after that the thing should just fall apart and then you clean it and make sure there aren't any shims left inside. When that's done, if you can read you can install it. I've done 2 of them and they went in with no problem. the first one from start to finish and a brake job took 3 hours being very careful and eating pizza/beer. #2 went in in an hour. They were both "crawl under the truck backyard" jobs, no shop or special tools. For the old gasket seal (diff) I use a razor scraper for that thin stubborn stuff. For the axle seal I have used everything from screw drivers to the axle it's self.

Hope any of this mess helps.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
There aren't any lockers or limited slips for the 8.2" 6 lug 1/2 ton IFS front axle. Just isn't strong enough. The ARB you are thinking of is for the 9.2" 8 lug IFS front axle that the big 3/4 and 1 tons use.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.