Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, but i had to ask ;o)

where are their strong (water crossing, mud) and weak (dunes) sides... how are they in off-camber situations?

whats their articulation?

thinking about a longer term project...

thx for your time

alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock

G

·
i've don't personally own one, but i've seen them on vidoes and there pretty wicked. Decent articulation, awesome water crossing abilities as long as you have a snorkel, a damn diesel will almost run off of water so a couple dribbles won't stall you down all that bad. Anything that has 8 forward gears 6 reverse gears and accepts 39" in tall tires on stock lift is definately getting my vote for a awesome vehicle. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.

G

·
(Unimog 404)

-38" Tires
-on the fly mechanical 4wd and fully locking F&R diffs
-17" ground clearance under the diffs
-Portal axles and geared hubs: 112:1 final crawl ratio
-very decent articulation
-Fully enclosed drivetrain
-ford 38" of water stock (with fan disconnected)

And that's all stock!

-Ryan
'88 Suburban
'64 Unimog 404
'63 Haflinger

G

·
The only real down side to a mog is the lack of HP. Ths causes issues in mud, as you can't spin the tires as easily as other rigs, and also in dunes a bit. Other than that, there are few vehicles more capable.

G

·
i live in the sf bay area so im a regular at hollister hills svra. i personally witnessed a unimog crawl...and i mean crawl...through a mud hole that regularlly swallows rigs with 44" tires. this thing shifted through 3 gears IN the hole! needless to say they are good to go stock.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
It's weird - there is lots of FOR SALE and LOOKING TO BUY, but not much building or tech talk activity here. Have they fallen out of favor? Or is the point that once you have a Unimog, do you NOT have to work on them?

· Registered
59 Posts
Perhaps the reason behind that is that owners find it hard to fix the MB parts in their unimogs that they tend to leave the task to the mechanics. Although, if they would just pay attention on trying to understand their rides and its needs, I think they would be willing enough to fix it themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.